Line Balancing with Secondary Regulators and Flow Control Faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat0304

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I, like so many others, am in the process of acquiring parts for my keezer build. I will be using secondary regulators with flow control Intertap faucets. I will ideally be using Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra for lines.

I plan to have one tap devoted to soda (root beer/cola/etc.) and the rest serving various beer styles, generally in the 2.2 to 3.5 CO2 volume range.

How effective are flow control taps at compensation for different carbonation volumes?

Am I correct in thinking (not considering the soda line):

1.a All beer tap lines are not able to be the same length. Meaning, I can't serve a 2.0 volume English Barleywine then serve a 3.8 volume Berliner Weisse from the same tap without issue.

1.b If each line is not able to be properly balanced at a uniform line length across various carbonation volumes, I would need to break them down into CO2 volume ranges; i.e. 2.0-2.5, 2.5-3.0, 3.0-3.5 and balance from there. Would the ranges need to be smaller?

2. For balancing with a flow control faucet, the control should be at 50% open, enabling tuning up and down for a proper pour.

Cheers!
Jarod

fwiw, don't want to leave you totally hanging, but I don't run FC faucets, so I'll leave "2" to those that do and take a whack at the other two.

1a. "It depends": a line tuned for one pressure will become increasingly less effective at controlling foam as pressure increases. So in your example a line tuned for one ounce per second pour rate a 2 volumes will likely suffer significant foam production at 3.8 volumes. Otoh, said line tuned for one second ounces at 3.8 volumes will just pour slow at 2 volumes.

1b. Your proposed three pressure bands might well prove sufficient...

Cheers!

I have a 4-way secondary, the same lines, and 650ss flow control faucets.

All my bev out lines are the same length (about 3’, iirc), and I compensate for different carbonation levels simply with the flow control lever, yes. One of the main reasons I got flow controls, so I wouldn’t have to mess around with line lengths.

High carbed beverages just take a little longer to fill the glass at lower flow rate, is all.

Last edited:
Back