Limit of 200 gallons of home brew.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
Just happened to check the Florida statute on home brewing only to see a limit of 200 gallons per year for a household of 2 adults over 21 years of age. It's a good thing I only brew 2 gallons per week (104 per year). You guys can check your statutes here:

(click on box to search for your state)

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrewing-rights/statutes/Texas/

Pretty sure that is the Federal limit too, but who's going to bother to enforce it? As long as you're not selling it or tearing down your neighborhood with raging parties weekly, enforcement isn't going to happen.

§ 18B-306 Making wines and malt beverages for private use.

An individual may make, possess, and transport native wines and malt beverages for his own use and for the use of his family and guests. Native wines shall be made principally from honey, grapes, or other fruit or grain grown in this State, or from wine kits containing honey, grapes, or other fruit or grain concentrates, and shall have only that alcoholic content produced by natural fermentation. Malt beverages may be made by use of malt beverage kits containing grain extracts or concentrates. Wine kits and malt beverage kits may be sold in this State. No ABC permit is required to make beverages pursuant to this section.

Does this terrible wording actually make all grain brewing or brewing stuff not in "kits" illegal in NC?!?!:tank::off:

It's 200 gallons/year in Wisconsin (100 if only a single adult is living at an address).

Oddly, it seems related to the address, not necessarily the brewer. So, if I take my stuff to a friend's house and brew it there and he keeps it....presumably it counts against his 100 gallons, not mine.

Either way, that would be 40 batches a year. I'm up to...maybe 14 or 15 so far this year, probably won't get much past 20, so I'm not worried about it.

Who is going to check on it & how can they confirm what you've made & consumed?
I avg 6-18 gal per month.

For AL, it was just a arbitrary amount to get the bill passed. The beverage control board pretty much admitted they would never inspect, in their words " we have bigger fish to fry"

well, have them calculate in all the losses to deadspace, trub and everything else you can think of. Ruined batches, dead yeast. Keep two sets of books like truckers reportedly used to . Then ask how they managed to figure you brewed 200 gallons at all.

Enforcement would be tough even if they came after you.

Honestly this is one of those laws that is antiquated and serves no useful purpose. It goes back to the 70's when homebrewing was first "legalized". However I don't ever see it being changed. I don't think the AHA would be interested in trying to change it. Remember they are just a small part of the Brewers Assoc....the group that represents commercial craft breweries. They are NOT going to push for a law change that could, in theory, hurt their craft brewery members.

I'm wondering if the 'giftitng' part includes my neighbors puling on my taps all weekend long?!
If so I'm toast too!

THe police have much bigger fish to fry than the guy who made 500 gallons of homebrew that was consumed by the neighborhood and friends. :mug:

Yep!
Plus, I'm a huge supporter of the law enforcement agencies; if they show, the beer's on me!

This statute is a comprehensive provision enabling the production of beer without license or permit subject to amount and normal alcoholic fermentation. §1.04 defines “Beer” as a malt beverage containing one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume and not more than four percent of alcohol by weight.

4% ABW is about 5% ABV. No IPAs fro you Texans. :p

Back