Lighter brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMTnew2brew

Reaction score
I've been trying to alternate a lighter batch then a darker batch, so far I've been very successful with the darks, but all the "light" batches seem to be coming out amber colors, I've been using a pale extract and all very light grains but even the summer ale I made recently was still pretty dark, I have a blonde fermenting now that looks like it may also come darker. What can I do to get something lighter and golden?

I've had great success doing late additions on my extract beers, I usually add only 1/3 or so (there is no set amount) of the extract at the beginning and the rest at 5 min or flameout and it comes out very close to the color I'm looking for. If you add all extract at beginning of boil the LME/DME it gets caramelized and gets too dark. Before the late additions I've had Hef's looking close to light amber ales, give it a try and experiment!! I just did an IPA that called for pale LME and I used ultralight and it looks like a lager so it's now my IPL

Come to the BIAB side... we have cookies (and the ability to make lighter colored beer without the fuss)!

But seriously - stvo's late editions suggestion sounds like a great idea. If you're feeling adventurous someday, get yourself a suitable bag for the grain, and maybe a larger pot, and give BIAB a try. I got started with a turkey fryer kit, and properly seasoned, the aluminum has served me well. It's way easier than I thought it would be, and being AG, you can get away from some of the darker colors that brewing with extract can result in.

I can get lighter beers just by using 1.5-2lbs plain extra light DME in a partial boil of 2.5-3.5 gallons in my 5 gallon BK. Do all hop additions in this mixture. Add remaining extracts at flame out. Since the wort is still boiling hot at this point,& pasteurization happens about 162F,just cover & steep a few minutes. Then chill to pitch temp & proceed as normal. If LME is one of the extracts,that all gets added at flame out as well. Lighter color & no extract twang.

Back