Light Wee-heavy recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibumdc

Reaction score
Been reading the 12-12-12 thread and want a lighter version of this wee-heavy style, probably more like a scottish 80

I'm looking at the following for a 5 gallon batch

16 lbs Golden Promise/Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
4 oz Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 oz Herald [12.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Dough-in @ 150* 20 minutes
Mash @ 154* 60 minutes
Mash-out 168*

Boil Size: 7.19 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal

Take 1st gallon of run-off and boil down to syrup for caramelization and add back to boil kettle before hop additions and complete 2 hour boil.

wyeast scottish ale yeast 1728
Ferment @ 55 for 3 weeks in Primary and 1 week in secondary for cleanup.

How's it look???

Herald is gonna give you too much bitterness for this style, I think. I would stick with EKG for the whole schedule, perhaps 0.75oz at 45 and another 0.75 at 30.

I would also get rid of the toasted malt (although admittedly I don't know what that is) in favor of Roasted Barley.

You're still way high for an -/80, which traditionally has an OG of 1.040-1.050 or a little higher. You're looking at 1.080-ish probably.

If the "toasted malt" is a homemade version of amber malt, I'd use more, around two or four time what you've got now. Alternately, use 2-4 oz of roasted barely, as suggested above. Both ought to give good results. Shoot for a .33 BU:OG ratio if you want something similar to the standard styles.

We wound up going with 1oz of East Kent Goldings hops @ 60 and then 0.25oz of Challenger Hops @45 minutes for this recipe.

We accidentally mashed out to 176 b/c the pump got stuck and the mash tun was a direct fire.
When I opened the valve a bit it flowed again and the thermometer showed 176 for the grain bed temp. We shut it off immediately started to fly sparge into the boil kettle.

Back