Light Lagerish Recipe Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a new All Grain brewer although I've done a number of extract brews.

My friends aren't into the craft beer scene and although they don't mind my beer. They'd prefer something more like . . . . Coors Light :mad:

Can someone suggest a recipe thats perfect for these kinds of people?

Thanks

Sure, but first I must ask - why are you brewing beer for people who don't like anything other than Coors light? :D

A Koelsch is a nice smooth lager-like beer. That requires some degree of temperature control, though. Check my Koelsch recipe from my pull down under my avatar if you're looking for some place to start.

Otherwise, you could do a SMaSH beer with all 2-row pale, and a mild hop like Saaz or Hallertau to about 18 - 20 IBUs. Ferment around 68F with a clean ale strain.

TB

shock them with a Pilsner Urquell brew. As a lager it's a more complicated process, but they'll pour out the coors after tasting that.

You can piece together a good recipe from BYO.com or by googling it, but here's a recipe I came up with:

8 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 85.9 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.1 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.1 %
6.4 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
2.00 oz Saaz [3.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 24.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [3.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 6 11.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [3.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 6.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Urquell Lager (Wyeast Labs #2001)

You need to decide if you want to do the triple decoction or not, then if you want to lager at 34 degrees for 6 weeks.

If that's over the top, say so, but you won't be disappointed.

Thanks everyone. That Kolsch sounds nice. As does the Pilsner. But I think I'm going to try the Cream of 3 crops beer first.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back