Lifetime of kegged beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I've read some conflicting information on this so I'm after the straight dope. What affects the viable lifetime of a keg? Obviously hop aroma is a big factor, if you've got an IPA or other hop forward beer, you want to drink it within 90 days if you can so you don't lose too much of the hop aroma. But for non-hoppy styles, what factors play a role? Does high alcohol last longer? Does storage temperature improve it's lifetime? Does it matter if its tapped with CO2 and you're consuming it regularly? Like does a pressurized, sealed keg last longer untapped than one hooked up to your kegerator (all other things being equal)?

How the wort and resulting beer is treated before long term storage is equally, if not more, important that it's treatment during long term storage.

Keep oxygen to an absolute minimum during all parts of the brewing cycle if you intend to keep something long term. And refrigeration is your friend.

i brew from jan-apr and usually empty the last kegs by labor day or so. i throw a couple of oz of leaf hops in a bag in the keg and to me it gets better as it ages. usually the last half gallon or so are the best. different than the first glasses for sure but they usually mature nicely for me. bottles the same. i save most of the bottles for fall/winter and they keep getting better. i store the kegs in a fridge at around 40 and the bottles in a root celler around 50.

I've had a RIS on tap that I made in 2013. In the cooler all the time. I'm crying. There's probably less than a growler left. Woe is me! Its been an outstanding beer all that time, just keeps getting better.
pao

How the wort and resulting beer is treated before long term storage is equally, if not more, important that it's treatment during long term storage.

Keep oxygen to an absolute minimum during all parts of the brewing cycle if you intend to keep something long term. And refrigeration is your friend.

Besides this, it is also style dependent. I'd imagine sours, stouts, porters, some belgians and barley wines can benefit from a long ageing whereas other styles you want as fresh as possible.

Latest posts

Back