LHBS Oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestMichBrewer

Reaction score
I went to buy grains for two recipes and ended up accidently combining most of the grains in the crusher bin.
The two recipes were a Munich Helles (pilsner, vienna, carapils) and a Best Bitter (MO, pale choc).
What I plan to do is try to mix the grains as best I can and split it into two batches of roughly identical composition.
The first I'll still brew and ferment as a bitter, but it will be lighter than you'd expect. Should still be decent.
Not sure what to do with the second batch.

Well, there were no bags left back there to dump my crushed grains into, so I decided to just gather my second recipe and wait to get bags from the cashier before grinding that second recipe. Minutes later, I forgot about the bags and ground the second recipe into the bin, right on top of the first. Not wanting to waste good grain, I just bought it as-is. I also remeasured my Helles recipe so I could brew that as originally intended.

Thanks for asking.

Feel like we all make that one dumb mistake every now and then, and then the beers turn out to be some of the best ones. They may not be exactly a Helles and a Bitter, but let us know how they come out.

Are you interested in listing all the grain that went into it and amounts? Maybe we can riff off that?
Sorry for the late reply!

Here is what I brought home:

5.5 lb - Barke Pilsner Malt (46.3%)
5 lb - Maris Otter Pale (42.1%)
10 oz - Vienna (5.3%)
6 oz - Carapils (3.2%)
4 oz - Acidulated Malt (2.1%)
2 oz - Chocolate (1.1%)
Also 8 oz rice hulls were in there

I did mix it up thoroughly and brew 7.5 lbs of the mixture (3 gallon bathes) with home grown Northern Brewer hops.
Fermenting now with a mix of Lallemond London and S-04.

I still have 4-plus pounds to work into something.
I have some leftover hops, a pack of US-05 and some harvested lager yeast I could use.

Sorry for the late reply!

Here is what I brought home:

5.5 lb - Barke Pilsner Malt (46.3%)
5 lb - Maris Otter Pale (42.1%)
10 oz - Vienna (5.3%)
6 oz - Carapils (3.2%)
4 oz - Acidulated Malt (2.1%)
2 oz - Chocolate (1.1%)
Also 8 oz rice hulls were in there

I did mix it up thoroughly and brew 7.5 lbs of the mixture (3 gallon bathes) with home grown Northern Brewer hops.
Fermenting now with a mix of Lallemond London and S-04.

I still have 4-plus pounds to work into something.
I have some leftover hops, a pack of US-05 and some harvested lager yeast I could use.

Since you have 4+ lbs. of what I assume is the same proportion of grains, brew the "mini-me" with different hops/yeast.

You might just really like the beers and keep the recipes. Happy accident.

I often brew beers using leftover ingredients and see what I get. I call them Leftovertures.

cover_56177862016_r.jpg

Since you have 4+ lbs. of what I assume is the same proportion of grains, brew the "mini-me" with different hops/yeast.

You might just really like the beers and keep the recipes. Happy accident.

I often brew beers using leftover ingredients and see what I get. I call them Leftovertures.

View attachment 845700
Whilst you ponder the point of know return.

Also, @WestMichBrewer , don't forget the bittering hops.

We all do that too.

Latest posts

Back