Letting the wife can in the Brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerstein

Reaction score
today is the first try for the wife to boil her jars in the electric brew pot (spike solo 20g). So far I’d say she likes it. Less fuss. No flame. Easy cleanup. And she can fit more quart jars in solo 20g. Win-win. Hardest part was walking her through setup of the pod.

today is the first try for the wife to boil her jars in the electric brew pot (spike solo 20g). So far I’d say she likes it. Less fuss. No flame. Easy cleanup. And she can fit more quart jars in solo 20g. Win-win. Hardest part was walking her through setup of the pod.
I just got into canning and was frustrated how my stock pot was so small... didn't think of it until after I was done that I had my Brewzilla that I could have used.

I have an Anvil Foundry 10.5 gal. (I have two of them) and with a false bottom I can fit 14 quart bottles in easily. I did this last year too. Works great.

We have so many tomatoes this year. I'd say 2x to 3x times normal. I ordered a tomato strainer to try to make sauce instead of can whole tomatoes (and to save a lot of work). I was almost thinking of boiling the sauce in the Foundry and draining into the cans using the kettles spigot. Think this will work?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 8
I have an Anvil Foundry 10.5 gal. (I have two of them) and with a false bottom I can fit 14 quart bottles in easily. I did this last year too. Works great.

We have so many tomatoes this year. I'd say 2x to 3x times normal. I ordered a tomato strainer to try to make sauce instead of can whole tomatoes (and to save a lot of work). I was almost thinking of boiling the sauce in the Foundry and draining into the cans using the kettles spigot. Think this will work?

Thanks

I'm sure you can boil the sauce :)

Cleanup is a different issue. hahaha

Yeah, but, I blanched a couple batches of tomatoes and seems the stainless is fairly easy to cleanup.

Do you ever get scorching on the bottom? In my Mash&Boil I felt like I got a lot of scorching, not enough to affect taste.

And you're right, with oxyclean or PBW that would make short work on it.

Do you ever get scorching on the bottom? In my Mash&Boil I felt like I got a lot of scorching, not enough to affect taste.

And you're right, with oxyclean or PBW that would make short work on it.

I never boiled the tomato sauce in it yet. I have only blanched and boiled the cans in it.

Not only is the brew pot bigger, but we also do the sauce outside on the deck with the brewing burners. 10 gal spike brew kettle on the Hellfire burner . Victorio canner for the water bath on the Dark Star. Gets the heat and steam out of the house (we always seem to be canning on the hottest days of late summer). Last batches were 34 jars tomato sauce and 11 jars plum jam. Scorching can be a bit of problem if the wind is not cooperating but the PBW makes clean up easy. Now I need a hint for getting rid of the capsaicin heat carry over from boiling hot sauce which will be coming up in another month. A couple of years ago we had "hot " apple sauce after doing the hot sauce or cowboy candy.

I boil/reduce my sauce in a 25g MegaPot. I usually can my sauce in my All American canner. I can do 19qts at a time and make 3 runs. Cleanup has always been a concern with sauce. I’m not sure how I’d handle it if I were an electric brewer.

I boil/reduce my sauce in a 25g MegaPot. I usually can my sauce in my All American canner. I can do 19qts at a time and make 3 runs. Cleanup has always been a concern with sauce. I’m not sure how I’d handle it if I were an electric brewer.

to the annoyance of my wife, my mantra has been “use oxyclean” for everything ;)

Latest posts

Back