Letting fermentation complete in a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
I usually pitch starters after 18-24 hours but now I would like to let one ferment out all the way and put it in the fridge to crash.

So when people do this do you leave the stirplate on the whole time? It seems to me like you might want to stop the spinning after 24 hours or so because at that point don't you have beer? and now you are introducing oxygen to the beer. Or does everyone just let it spin the whole time and it doesn't really matter?

Let the stir plate go. In starters you don't need to be concerned with oxidation of the wort. You will either decant the wort or pitch it with the yeast if the amount is small.
You will have a weak beer, but without the hops, oxidized or not, you wouldn't want to drink it.

Take it off the plate. Decant before pitching. If you can, remove the stir bar before crashing. Otherwise it may be hard to separate the stir bar from the crashed yeast. Nothing bad will (likely) happen from leaving the stir bar in, it just means you'll probably end up pitching the stir bar with the yeast and then have to wait a couple weeks to get it back.

Back