Lets Talk About Digital Television

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
So (wait, didn't we have an entire thread about that?)

Feb '09 is coming quickly, less than 6 months. My Dad and I were talking over some pints the other night that he'd love to get 'free' TV on his boat. He currently had Direct TV on it serving 3 TV's. Usually after Labor Day he goes out on a nice sunday afternoon and likes to watch football, but doesn't feel like paying for the $50/month for the 3 STB's on the boat while he isn't on it every few days.

I've noticed that there are some STB's from Direct TV that appear to be able to get OTA DTV, but is that with the way things currently are, or will the OTA still work with those boxes after Feb '09?

Or is it just easier to just pony up the cash to get the converter boxes you can get almost anywhere, and when the dish gets the axe for the season, just plug that little beauty in? He's real OCD and would love it if there was a single box that could do both OTA DTV, and get Direct TV when he has that activated.

Thought, ideas? Oh, and there is already a coax antenna where the STB's are, so that is already taken care of.

Ready?

Set?

GO!

The set I just bought has the tuners built in. Meaning that If I have the appropriate antenna connected I don't need any converters.

Is he looking to adopt anybody?

I'm his son and I'm still trying to get in nice with him :)

The set I just bought has the tuners built in. Meaning that If I have the appropriate antenna connected I don't need any converters.

yeah, I know about the new TV's that have them built in, but he's not looking to replace any of the TV's he already has

If your dad is using Direct TV, he is fine. Nothing else is needed.

The converter boxes are for only those folks using Over the Air antenna's or TV's connected directly to the cable (no converter box).

Folks with DVR's and Digital cable boxes from the cable company won't need anything when the switch happens.

If your dad is using Direct TV, he is fine. Nothing else is needed.

The converter boxes are for only those folks using Over the Air antenna's or TV's connected directly to the cable (no converter box).

Folks with DVR's and Digital cable boxes from the cable company won't need anything when the switch happens.

no no no, I know all of this, but he turns off his Direct TV service in the winter time, but still wants to get OTA signals. My question being is there a Direct TV receiver that does OTA as well?

no no no, I know all of this, but he turns off his Direct TV service in the winter time, but still wants to get OTA signals. My question being is there a Direct TV receiver that does OTA as well?

Not to my knowledge. They will just pass through any OTA antenna signals.

You will need a converter box unless the TV's are digital ready.

Sign him up for the coupons now and save $40

Not to my knowledge. They will just pass through any OTA antenna signals.

You will need a converter box unless the TV's are digital ready.

Sign him up for the coupons now and save $40

Coupons are coming, I was curious (since the internet didn't help) if there was a box of this sort so that he didn't have to unplug and replug a box, but oh well, he'll manage

How about an A-B switch?

I think the DT boxes will pass through when they are off. At least it used to be this way before the sat co's started offering local channels. When the sat box was off it'd pass an antenna signal or you could switch it via remote. It has been a while since I messed with a sattelite system tho'.

If the DT box has an antenna input it should at least pass the signal but, most likely you will still need the tuner/converter.

I didn't even think about an AB switch...that may be a great solution

Back