Let your brew bag drip into a bucket before disposing of the grains.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PersonalBrewer

Reaction score
I have been disposing of spent grains in our compost heap.

I do squeeze the bag, and let it drip over the brew kettle but knew I wasn't getting it all out.

As I went to larger and larger grain bills, it was getting harder to carry to the compost heap. My wife said, put the bag and all in a bucket and the bucket will be easier to carry than a bag.

So, I did that. This last grain bill was 30 lbs, I squeezed as much as I could and placed the bag basically on to top of a five gallon bucket (had to kind of pull up ends of bag to make sure grains didn't spill out) and pushed it down mostly into the bucket.

When I got ready to dump the grains, there was somewhere between a quart and half gallon or more of wort in the bucket. Which I promptly dumped into the boil. So, maybe a quart or more only got boiled for 60 minutes ( I was doing a 90 minute boil.) I can live with that for the additional wort.

Try letting the bag hang above the kettle, then when you can’t stand it anymore, let it hang for a bit longer. As you discovered gravity will drain more than your squeeze, that’s my experience with large grain bills.

I don’t think it’s detrimental to let the bag hang say halfway through the boil. It seems odd at first but it works and produces a lot more wort than most would think. I like the “no labor” option of hanging w the benefit of reducing labor on the spent grain hauling.

Last edited:
I have a metal colanderthat i put under my bag in a 5 gallon bucket for just that. i squeeze what i can and add that back to the kettle and let gravity do its thing while boiling.

Back