Let me introduce myself by saying GO STEELERS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoFortySX

Reaction score
Afternoon Fellas!

I have been lurking here, absorbing as much information as I could while doing so. I have always frequented message boards so I know the rules especially the one about using the search button before creating new threads! :)

Let me introduce myself, My name is Jimmy. I am 27 years old. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I guess a fun fact about me is that I own registered Quarter Horses. My girlfriend and I buy young horses, and with the help of our trainers, we turn these horses into prospects which we then sell for profit.

On to the Beer....

I have always had a love for drinking micro-brews and craft beers. My first experience of this world was going to a bar here in Pittsburgh that specializes in micro-brews called Fat Heads. They carry 30 some, ever changing specialty beers from all over the world. My friends and I would go there and take turns picking random beers. This is were I started developing my likes, dislikes and learning the different distinctive flavors beer can have.

Luckily, I have another craft brew bar about 5 minutes from where I live that has great relationships with local brewers. They always have new, exciting beers and they have very knowledgeable bartenders that know the beer.

Although, I still do have a taste for cheap macro brews especially Natty Light and Budweiser. I guess you can never shake those old habits. haha.

I would say I have always had an urge to create my own alcohol but I never acted on it. I thought it was so much work and I had no idea where to even start.

Well I was given my starting point a few weeks ago. I lost my job, which happened to be a great thing for me. I didn't realize how much it had consumed my life and was making me miserable. With all the renewed happiness and free time, I realized that I needed a new hobby. I couldn't figure out what to do. My hobby ended up coming to me in the form of a Mr. Beer kit that I received for Christmas. Within days of getting this gift, I was here researching and learning. Like I mentioned before, I knew the wealth of information that can be found on message boards.

I brewed my first batch of MB West Coast Pale Ale on 12/26/10 which is now carbonating in the Mr. Beer bottles.

My second batch is a MB Hard Cider, with Orange and Alfalfa honey, that is currently fermenting. As of yesterday, it was at 1.022, tasted great and is almost ready to be bottled in my Golsch swing-tops.

Yesterday, I invested a little over a hundred bucks in some upgraded equipment and started a 2.5 gal batch of Edwort's Apfelwein! I am currently entertaining the idea of adding some fruit after initial fermentation.

I want to thank you all for the great message board, the great advice found here and hope to continue enjoying this great hobby.

Thanks Again, :mug:
Jimmy

I forgot to mention how much I love the acronym SWMBO! Luckily, I have a girlfriend who is supportive of me pursuing this hobby.

And I forgot to include a picture of my new baby!
169044_551287778358_64703099_31931662_7934668_n.jpg

Welcome to the posting side of the forum.

I'm originally from Pittsburgh and I really enjoy Fat Heads as well. Don't forget to try Smokin Joe's a little farther down on Carson street. They have aver 300 different bottles of beer for you try as well.

If you want a belgian beer bar try the Sharp Edge around shadyside. They have close to 30 belgian beers on tap, and probably twice that in bottles.

Between those two places you should find just about any beer that you want to try.

Thank You!

I know exactly where Smokin' Joe's is but I have never been there. Thanks for the heads up, ill have to check it out. As for the Sharp Edge, Ive been there a time or two. The place that is close to my home is called Bocktown. They have a nice tap selection and bottles galore.

-Jimmy

Latest posts

Back