Let it warm up or leave it in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyMcBong

Reaction score
First time with fermentation temp control and I was wondering if I should pull the fermenter from the fridge to let it warm up before bottling, or just leave it in the fridge till bottling day.

Thanks.

Not sure if there is any particular reason to do it one way or the other.

I just pull my bucket out of the fridge at cold crash temp when I start the boil for the priming solution. It's usually about an hour before anything actually makes it from fermenter to bottle, but it's still pretty cold. Haven't noticed any problems doing it this way.

Brew on :mug:

I'd say do it however you'd like. A lot of my stronger beers end up at room temperature prior to bottling, simply due to trying to get the yeast more active to maximize attenuation. Just bottled an IPA that was 38F and never got above 68F throughout fermentation, though.

Highest temp reached affects amount of priming sugar needed. The amount of CO2 already in solution prior to bottling is a function of temperature.

As long as you take that into account, it doesn't matter what temp you bottle at.

Leave it in the fridge until you need to move it. Moving it can resuspend some trub, so I generally move mine at least an hour or more before bottling if possible. It can be bottled cold, no problem.

Back