Lesson Learned: Conditioning a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craggy

Reaction score
Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster here.

About 6 months ago, I made my first partial mash oatmeal stout. It was made to the recipe in Zainasheff's "Brewing Classic Styles" for that style. Unfortunately, even after a long primary and 6 weeks of keg conditioning, the flavour was overly biscuity/malty/burnt to the point of unpleasantness, and the best review it would get from friends was "eh, at least it isn't infected". Needless to say, I was disappointed.

Out of a mix of optimisim and laziness, I decided to leave the keg in the fridge until I needed the space. That was back in June..

This week, out of curiosity, I put the keg on tap, carbed to 12psi and served today at 4deg C. It is a totally different, and better, beer! It's completely mellowed, and a bunch of new, delcious flavours have started to shine through. The burnt harshness has completely gone. I'm so glad that I didn't tip the batch out, which I was tempted to do a few times.

I guess I wanted to share that the adage that patience and sanitation are the keys to brewing good beer rings true in this case. Keep the faith in your brews and good things happen! :mug:

I've pondered and reasoned, read and researched. It's a wonderful mystery of beer what happens in the aging process. Some flavors are reduced or eliminated, others enhanced or created. The logical mind can't quantify it, but the taste bids don't lie! Enjoy your properly aged stout!!!

I just kegged the AG version of that recipe last weekend, I thought it was very smooth considering it was only 2 weeks old. I'm excited to taste it in a few months! Kegs can move rather slowly in my apartment so I've been trying to brew things that I know will age nicely.

I just kegged the AG version of that recipe last weekend, I thought it was very smooth considering it was only 2 weeks old. I'm excited to taste it in a few months! Kegs can move rather slowly in my apartment so I've been trying to brew things that I know will age nicely.

Yeah, I've brewed this one many times and its been good as soon as a month in my experience. I was actually beginning to call shenangians to the adage that you need to let stouts mellow for awhile.

I guess it all comes down to the process, the brewer, the water, the day, phase of the moon, etc.

prrriiide said:
The only beer I have dumped, I have been certain that there was an infection. Anything else, I let it sit, sampling occasionally, until it's good or it's gone.

Words to live by!!!

Words to live by!!!

meh, I live by the mantra that its your beer, do whatever you want with it. I'd have no qualms about dumping a less-than-stellar batch if I needed the room, I was done with it/sick of drinking it, or wanted to redo.

Alot of homebrewers turn their nose up at Bud, but will double down and gut through a full batch of below average homebrew. If life is too short to drink crap macro beer, than its too short to drink crappy homebrew, amiright?

I say all of this because my homebrew are typically peaking at 2-3 weeks post-brew, so I know that time isn't going to fix anything (the exception being high gravity brews, beers with alot of dark malts (maybe) etc.)

I've had a mixed bag with conditioning so far. One of my ales was just as good at week 3 as it was 2 months later, and another recipe that took two months before it was even worth drinking.

Interesting to hear that others have had good success with the AG version of the recipe. Will have to try that next time.

Latest posts

Back