Les Claypool ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
anybody heard the Les Claypool solo project Live Frogs - Set 2? sounds like a heavily Pink Floyd influenced mix. heard some on XM tonight....need to check this out if your a Primus fan!:cool:

I'm a Primus fan from way back. Saw them live in '95. The did an E.P. recently with the Herb/Lar/Les lineup. I thought it sucked. The only Claypool projects I somewhat liked were Oysterhead and The Holy Mackerel.

I've never checked out any of of recent "jam band" kind of stuff. I always figured it would be too tame for me, as I liked the "rock" edge of Primus. I'd like to hear some, though.....I might just be wrong!

He's one talented SOB, but he can really be out there sometimes.

Inspired by this thread, I just popped in the "Brown Album." I forgot how friggin' cool this CD is. Haven't listened to it in ages.

Thanks DeRoux! :cool:

Paranioa is a disease unto itself
This is true

And may I add
The person standing next to you
May not be who they appear to be

So take precautions!

That speech rules. :D

i'm the same. i loved Frizzle Fry because it was so damn raw. but, that song i heard last night was pretty cool. i think it was called "sheep"? he had this twisted bass solo (which only either Claypool or Cliff Burton could pull off) and it just was a Floyd-esk kinda thing. requires more research! :~)

I've been a Primus fan for a long time. Claypool is a god, and his work in Oysterhead (with Phish's Trey Anastasio and The Police's Stuart Copeland) and Frog Brigade is awesome. I've seen Primus only once, but they blew me away (as did the geltabs, but that's neither here nor there).

i saw Primus on Lolapalloza w/ Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur, Jr. (which i'm suprised nobody mentioned Jay Mascus in the metal guitar thread), some rap band, and then Primus. by far the best damn concert i have ever been to in my life!

Claypool is a madman on the bass. I've seen them several times and was never disappointed. Most recently, they performed Cheese in its entirety. I believe they performed the entire Fry on this last tour.

I love that Larry comes from a death metal band that I used to worship (possessed).

the frog brigade's cover of the Pink Floyd Animals album blew me away. Was hoping for a dvd with a flying Mr Krinkle in lieu of the pig. Wish they'd cover more of The Residents. I know they're fans.

Haven't dug any primus since midway thru Tales, though their DVD/EP was cool for the videos.

i didn't know larry played in possessed?!?!??!? cool..

reading your post, i remember i saw them on tour w/ RUSH too. that was the 1st time....

gaelone said:
Claypool is a madman on the bass. I've seen them several times and was never disappointed. Most recently, they performed Cheese in its entirety. I believe they performed the entire Fry on this last tour.

Yeah I was at both shows, frizzle and seas. both pretty good shows. Not as good as when i saw them in high school, that was an awesome show. I also saw them at LoLa and that was THE show. Fishbone was at that show too. THE POOL IS NOW OPEN!!!!!!!!

DeRoux's Broux said:
i didn't know larry played in possessed?!?!??!? cool..

reading your post, i remember i saw them on tour w/ RUSH too. that was the 1st time....

I would have given my left nut to see that show! As it is, I was lucky enough to be in Oberhausen, Germany to see Rush's R30 tour and then down to Munchen for Octoberfest. All without the wife :cross: :drunk:
I wish I could have seen primus when they were together. Another thing I like about Larry is that he was taught by the man himself: Joe Satriani

i've been a primus fan since about 93 and i still love them crazies!! saw them live with the melvins at the delmar fair grounds in cali. now that i'm getting older though i'm kinda going back to the metal. been listening to KORN ALOT lately, them and disturbed.

AHammer16 said:
Yeah I was at both shows, frizzle and seas. both pretty good shows. Not as good as when i saw them in high school, that was an awesome show. I also saw them at LoLa and that was THE show. Fishbone was at that show too. THE POOL IS NOW OPEN!!!!!!!!

dude, i totaly forgot about fishbone at that show!!!!that was an incredible experience.....

rush was good, but they were past their prime. i think it was the Roll the Bones tour? Primus kicked their ass for sure :D

Korn's cool too. they've been playing alot of Korn on XM, along w/ Primus. listening to RUSH Chronicles right now, w/a nice Red Bird Ale (northwest red).....:drunk:

I saw them play H.O.R.D.E. in 97. Beck was on just prior, and before Beck I saw Leftover Salmon, Blues Traveler, Ben Folds Five, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Morphine and others. Very good show. Primus was a high point, as was Neil Young who played after Primus. I'm not a huge Neil Young fan, but when the power went out in the middle of is set due to a thunderstorm and he kept playing like nothing happened, I immediately gave respect.

neil is raw, and i love that about him. he doesn't give a f**K what you think. he just rips......
sounds like a good night.

Dude said:
As bad as Throwrag? :D

At least Throwrag was entertaining to watch. The Meat Puppets were neither interesting to watch, nor to listen to!

Although their bass player came out into the audience during Primus. I think I was the only person who recognised him. :D

Latest posts

Back