Length to clarify in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbippers

Reaction score
Right now I have a strong IPA (1.072 OG) that I moved to secondary three days ago. It spent a week in primary on re-pitched slurry (Wyeast 1056) and fermented strong the whole time. This is my first higher gravity beer, but my previous batches have tended to become significantly clearer after about a day in secondary. It's been three days and this beer still looks just as cloudy as when I transferred it.

After the transfer I moved it to my basement where it's ~62-65 F, so I just want to make sure it's not due to the low temp. Or should I expect the higher gravity beer to just take longer to clear? I plan on leaving it in secondary for another month or so anyway.

IPAs don't usually clear very well because of all the hop oils in them. I suppose you could use Polyclar to drop out some of the haze, but I've never been comfortable with pouring a bunch of little plastic balls into my fermentor.

I think I got a pretty poor cold break on this one. Between that and the 7 ounces of hops, I may just have to deal with some extra haze. Thanks.

Back