Lenghty Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TapeHead

Reaction score
So, I've had a Belgian Strong Honey Ale sitting in the secondary since December of last year. I'll probably be bottling sometime soon.

My question for everyone in forumland is this: Should I consider adding some more yeast (champagne yeast perhaps) or do you think the addition of bottling sugar will be enough to carbonate the brew? I'm just concerned that after such a long time aging in the secondary the yeast will no longer respond to the sugar. Thanks in advance for your input! :rockin:

Edit: I'm really good at spelling "Lengthy"

I add 1-2 g of rehydrated EC-1118 every time I bottle anything that's aged more than 3 months. It's inexpensive, has a high alcohol tolerance, will ensure rapid carbonation, and there's no danger of overattenuation since it's wine yeast. In my opinion it's not even a question.

I add 1-2 g of rehydrated EC-1118 every time I bottle anything that's aged more than 3 months. It's inexpensive, has a high alcohol tolerance, will ensure rapid carbonation, and there's no danger of overattenuation since it's wine yeast. In my opinion it's not even a question.

Ok, so add the yeast the day that I bottle? No bottle bombs will be created by doing this?

Cyclman, I'll be in Denver with my wife next month. Any suggestions on breweries/bars that are on your must visit list?

Back