lemongrass paste question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
so Im having trouble getting fresh lemongrass, can I use lemongrass paste in the boil instead of fresh? thanks in advance for the help

I suppose so, how does it taste? I would taste it so you know roughly how much to use.

the pastes says 1 tablespoon of paste = 1 ounce of fresh lemongrass.

here is how my lemongrass hefeweizen came out

CbybGgWWIAAGSzQ.jpg:large

How much lemongrass paste did you end up using? When did you add it? What are your impressions and would you change anything. Sorry for the 20 questions... considering a lemongrass and ginger wheat beer for my next brew.

How much lemongrass paste did you end up using? When did you add it? What are your impressions and would you change anything. Sorry for the 20 questions... considering a lemongrass and ginger wheat beer for my next brew.

I just had Kona Brewing Co. Lemongrass Luau, which is a blonde ale brewed with lemongrass and ginger. It was a pretty tasty brew, not sure if I could drink a lot of it in one sitting, but it had a good spice to it.

Let me start off by saying I only ever drank 1 hefeweizen before and a friend asked me to create this. I used 2 ounces of fresh lemongrass in the last 10 minutes of the boil. Since I couldnt find more fresh lemongrass, I found fresh lemongrass paste. I used 2 tablespoons in the secondary for 5 days before bottling. I brewed this months ago and it tastes so good now. Then again, Im not really sure what a hefeweizen tastes like. However, my friend that requested loves it and requested I make it again. I only have 6 bottles left. I can post the recipe if you want.

I'm a partial mash brewer so here is my recipe. It tasted better after 3 weeks in the bottle. Right now, its over 2 months since I brewed it and tastes even better
Steeping Grains:
8 ounces Carahell
4 ounces of Honey Malt
Extract
4 Lbs of Wheat DME (did 2lbs when it got to a boil after mash, and added last 2lbs with 20 minutes left in boil)
1 Lbs Pislner DME

Herbs:
2 ounces in last 15 minutes
2 ounces in secondary for 5 days
Hops:
1/2 oz Liberty 30 minutes
1/2 oz Liberty 5 minutes

Awesome, everyone who has tried lemongrass stalks here has failed to bring out any flavor. Ive been waiting for someone to figure it out for some time. Good job!

I am currently fermenting SD-SLMS lemon-lime hefe weizen, thinking of either substituting the simply lime with lemon grass, or adding it, opinions?

Back