Lemon Wheat - Recipe Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbutler21

Reaction score
Would you guys mind talking a look at a recipe I put together? Looking at brewing this next weekend. This is the first recipe I've put together, but follows all the same steps I've followed all last 5 batches.

Basic Information
Batch Name:Lemon Wheat
Brewed By:Jim Butler
Style:American Wheat or Rye Beer
Batch Size:1.00 gal
Boil Time:60 min
Mash Method:All Grain

Typical Style Characteristics
Style:American Wheat or Rye Beer
O.G.1.040 - 1.055
F.G.1.008 - 1.013
ABV4.0 - 5.5
IBU15 - 30
SRM3 - 6°L
Color

Calculated & Measured Statistics
Calculated O.G.1.055 (72% Efficiency)
Calculated F.G.1.014 (75% Yeast Attenuation)
Measured O.G.0.000 (0% Actual Efficiency)
Measured F.G.0.000 (0% Actual Attenuation)
ABV5.6%
IBU29.9
SRM4.9°L
Color

Malt Bill
2-Row Malt - 2.0°L1.40 lbsMashed Grain
White Wheat Malt0.40 lbs Mashed Grain
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L0.10 lbsMashed Grain
Flaked Rice– 1°L0.10 lbsMashed Grain

Mash Rest Profile
Saccharification (Light Body)147°F60 minInitial StrikeMash-in with 2.5 qts of water at 159°F
Mash Out168°F10 minInfusionInfuse 1.5 qts of water at 208°F
Dunk Sparge with 1 batches of 5.77 qts water at 170°F

Hop Bill
Cascade (U.S.)FWH0.10 oz5.8%Pellet Hop
Sorachi Ace15 min0.10 oz14.5%Leaf Hop
Hallertau (U.S)15 min0.10 oz4.5%Pellet Hop
Sorachi Ace5 min0.10 oz14.5%Leaf Hop
Zest of 1 lemon5 min1.00 oz0.0%Misc. Boil Addition

Yeast Details
Safale US-05 Fermentis Dry Ale5g rehydrated in 11mL water

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's worth noting I plan to bottle using honey.

Sounds good. Sorachi Ace hops are awesome. I just brewed a citrus blonde and man do they shine!

I don't really have any criticism. Just to be sure to use fresh zest. If I'm adding the zest at flameout I'll usually make it with 5-10 min left in the boil.

I'd cut the IBUs to 12-16. The fresh lemon zest will add astringency that I wouldn't expect to work well with hops.

And 20% wheat is really low, barely a wheat IMHO. I'd shoot for 40%.

Good notes.

If I were going to cut some IBUs, would you recommend dropping the cascades or the hallertau? Or one of the sorachi aces? I'd kind of like a hint of spice, but definitely lemon forward. And not too bitter.

Good notes.

If I were going to cut some IBUs, would you recommend dropping the cascades or the hallertau? Or one of the sorachi aces? I'd kind of like a hint of spice, but definitely lemon forward. And not too bitter.

By choosing 3 hops, it seems like you want a hop forward beer, but like I said, it doesn't seem like that would work great. But maybe it would, I can't say I've tried that. If you're dropping the hops to under 20 IBU, it doesn't matter which hop you use because you won't taste it anyway. My current citrus wheat uses lots of lemon and orange, and like 16 IBU, OG of 1.043, and is very well balanced. There was an article in the last zymurgy or BYO about citrus beers. Great article.

I would drop the hallertau. I also question the flaked rice. Typically you use rice hulls to filter the wort from the spent grain. Is the rice part of your grain bill or did you mean rice hulls?

Back