Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked it after 12 days, already at 1.01 and tastes good.... Resisting temptation to keg early!
It's difficult as my pipeline's lean.

Started force carbing two days ago, a little early I know.. but man this beer is a winner. Citrus really comes through and it's light, extremely drinkable and delicious. This will be a staple in my brew recipe collection. Next time I'll try it with mouteka if I can get them. Thanks for the recipe Slim.

llhef.jpg

jeff62217 said:
Started force carbing two days ago, a little early I know.. but man this beer is a winner. Citrus really comes through and it's light, extremely drinkable and delicious. This will be a staple in my brew recipe collection. Next time I'll try it with mouteka if I can get them. Thanks for the recipe Slim.
I'm glad you liked it!

Did this one up. Although not a big hefe fan, the lime part intrigued me. 4 days in the bottle and not bad.

I'm thinking of making something very similar to this, but with a very different yeast - heady topper's Conan. Thoughts?

yeknom366 said:
I'm thinking of making something very similar to this, but with a very different yeast - heady topper's Conan. Thoughts?
Yeast make this beer....read through all of the other people who out of necessity subbed out the yeast their first time, then made it with the right yeast the second time. My advice to anyone reading this recipe.....a lot of time was spent creating this recipe, a lot of people love this recipe, so shouldn't you see why before you change it?

Too lazy to sift through 121 pages of posts, but I'll take your word on it... kind of. I think I *might* just take 1 gallon of it and ferment with Conan, and the other 4 gallons with WL Hefe IV. Just curious, were others just using different hefeweizen yeast strains or miscellaneous ale yeasts?

Too lazy to sift through 121 pages of posts, but I'll take your word on it... kind of. I think I *might* just take 1 gallon of it and ferment with Conan, and the other 4 gallons with WL Hefe IV. Just curious, were others just using different hefeweizen yeast strains or miscellaneous ale yeasts?

Slim is not shy about saying the Hops and yeast are the key ingredients in this beer and your depriving yourself if substituting in these areas.

Slim is not shy about saying the Hops and yeast are the key ingredients in this beer and your depriving yourself if substituting in these areas.

The reason I am considering Conan is because it adds apricot flavor like SD-SLIM said of Hefe IV, but also adds other citrus and tropical fruit flavors. Definitely would kill the clove flavor though, we'll see I guess.

So I wasn't too keen on the calculations done earlier in this thread regarding the ABV after the limeade is added. It seems like only the extra sugar was considered, not the increase in volume. One bottle of limeade is 1.75L, or 0.462 gal, and contains 28g sugar per 8 oz. This means there is ~207g of sugar in a full bottle. Once this is converted (assuming 100% yield), you end up with 111g of ethanol, or 88mL. 88mL/1750mL is 5.02% ethanol from just fermenting the limeade.

Now let's look at the rest of the beer. I put the grain bill into Brewer's Friend with 80% efficiency high attenuation (77%) to allow the highest possible ABV. I also used a final volume of 5.538 gallons (6 gallons - limeade volume). This gave an OG of 1.061, FG of 1.014, and ABV ~6.18%, nowhere near some people's ABV in the 7-8% range. If you add up the total acohol in each and divide by the new volume, it will lower the ABV.

5.538 gallons * 0.0618 = 0.3422 gallons ethanol from the beer
0.462 gallons * 0.0502 = 0.0232 gallons of ethanol from the limeade

(0.0232 gallons + 0.3422 gallons) / 6 gallons = 6.09%

Unless something weird goes on with the beer or limeade that I don't know about, it should slightly lower the ABV, but a really insignifcant change. Also, I am going to measure the OG of limeade and ferment it, for science. I will get back with the results.

Pleasantly surprised at how "malty" it is, and not so much the wheat essence. A do again!

Would like to brew this one soon, but am having a hard time finding everything I need off of one site. Anybody know of a site where I can find both the hops and yeast for this recipe?

Would like to brew this one soon, but am having a hard time finding everything I need off of one site. Anybody know of a site where I can find both the hops and yeast for this recipe?

It was hard for me to bring together all the ingredients from one place. I was able to get yeast and grain from my LHBS but had to get hops online. Trust me it is worth it.

Went to northern brewer and found all but sorachi ace. I searched it and Falconer's® Flight Hop Pellets came up. The description seems similar to sorachi so I think I'm going to go ahead and order everything from northern brewery. This day and age you wouldn't think it would be so hard to find all of the ingredients on one website...

codym said:
Went to northern brewer and found all but sorachi ace. I searched it and Falconer's® Flight Hop Pellets came up. The description seems similar to sorachi so I think I'm going to go ahead and order everything from northern brewery. This day and age you wouldn't think it would be so hard to find all of the ingredients on one website...

I know of one recipe that calls for Sorachi Ace...and your brewing it. A couple commercial brews have started to make beers to showcase the hop but I think they have met with limited success. Based on the popularity of this thread I would think the Japanese hop growers consortium (If there is one) would make Slim their supreme ruler.

From Morebeer.com:
"Due to a shortage of Sorachi hop pellets, the price of this particular hop was recently raised. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but please let us know if you have any questions or concerns."

Both hops are available right now on Amazon or from Midwest

I think Midwest didn't have the hefe IV yeast. Rebel brewer had everything but the white wheat malt (they were out of stock) so I had to compromise and order light wheat malt. My first all grain beer is turning into a headache and I haven't even started brewing! Took me a lot of searching to find everything in stock at one place but I did it. Just to be sure on this, the recipe says it is a 6 gallon batch, that's excluding the lime aid that I will be adding on day 3 right? So I will end up with 6.5 gallons after adding 1.75L lime aid? Or do I shoot for 5.5gal wort after boil to put in carboy and add the half gallon of lime aid to make it 6 on day 3?

Just got my ingredients for this one. Had to sub motueka for saaz and safbrew WB-06 for WLB IV any thoughts or should I wait and get the right stuff?

Just to be sure on this, the recipe says it is a 6 gallon batch, that's excluding the lime aid that I will be adding on day 3 right? So I will end up with 6.5 gallons after adding 1.75L lime aid? Or do I shoot for 5.5gal wort after boil to put in carboy and add the half gallon of lime aid to make it 6 on day 3?

It is going to depend on your fermentor size. The Hefe IV produces a crazy fermentation. If you are using a 6 gallon BB, go for the lower volume otherwise you will lose a bunch of yeast in the blow off container.

Just checked my FG and kegged this up after 3 weeks in the fermenter. FG finished up at .010, probably due to mashing at 154. Flavor and color are awesome. I didn't get as much up front lime flavor as I wanted, probably due to the quality of limes I zested. Overall I'm extremely pleased and can't wait to brew it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All Grain
  • 6.25lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
  • 4lbs White Wheat Malt
  • 1lb Vienna Malt
  • ****Mash 158 for 45 minutes****
  • 0.25 Motueka Hops at 60 Minutes
  • 0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
  • 0.25 Motueka Hops 20 minutes
  • 0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
  • 0.50 Lime Zest 5 Minutes
  • White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
  • ****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
  • After Vigorous Fermentation subsides, add 1.75L Simply Limeade
  • ****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

Extract
  • 7lbs 12.6 Ounces of Wheat Liquid Extract
  • 10.7 Ounces of Pale Liquid Extract
  • Follow rest of All Grain Recipe

When using the Extract version of this recipe, is it scaled for 5 gallons? Does the below recipe look right? BeerSmith took out the 1lb of Vienna Malt and I was thinking that it should kept in the recipe and steeped?

Thanks!
George

Recipe: Lemon Lime Hefe Weizen (Extract)
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.42 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.99 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.85 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 8.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

7 lbs 12.0 oz Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 2 91.2 %
12.0 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 3 8.8 %
0.25 oz Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 5.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 3.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 6.3 IBUs
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop 7 2.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Lime Zest (Boil 5.0 mins) Flavor 8 -
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380) [ Yeast 9 -
1.75 l Simply Limeade (Primary 3.0 days) Flavor 10 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
- Wait 24-72 hours after initial fermentation and then add the limeade to the primary fermenter (vigorous fermentation must be complete because the sugar in the Simply Limeade will pick it up again)
- Ferment a minimum of three (3) weeks.
-Blow off tube most likely needed

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

The vienna needs to be mashed in my opinion. Just do a mini mash with it if you really want it in there.

The vienna needs to be mashed in my opinion. Just do a mini mash with it if you really want it in there.

I know there's been debate about Vienna being steeped and/or mashed, but I think I just need to know if the flavor is of importance to the final product when using the extract version of the recipe.

George

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes the Vienna along with the other grains are important..... When I made this recipe, I did almost a hundred base variations before I settled on what I feel makes the best base for a flavored Hef....after that I experimented with hops, it took a little over 20 variations....and then I brewed the base and hops with almost every strain of yeast and 3 of my own strains.
So long story, simple answer....I took a lot of time to carefully balance this beer from start to finish, as the brewer you can and should feel free to experiment as much as you want...but in my opinion, it takes every part to make this recipe a great beer....but as the father of this recipe, I may be a little biased!

Yes the Vienna along with the other grains are important..... When I made this recipe, I did almost a hundred base variations before I settled on what I feel makes the best base for a flavored Hef....after that I experimented with hops, it took a little over 20 variations....and then I brewed the base and hops with almost every strain of yeast and 3 of my own strains.
So long story, simple answer....I took a lot of time to carefully balance this beer from start to finish, as the brewer you can and should feel free to experiment as much as you want...but in my opinion, it takes every part to make this recipe a great beer....but as the father of this recipe, I may be a little biased!

Seems as if everyone of us who brews this recipe should be handing you some royalties :)

Lol....I take great pride in the fact that people have brewed this for loved ones, weddings and competition...so being apart of that is all I need!

I look forward to brewing this awesome recipe! Has anybody named theirs?

George

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

My latest rendition was named Alligator Klips.

Alligator Clips because I accidentally dropped 2 big ass A clips into the brew pot and had a complete bitchfit getting them out.

K in Klips because I used a Kolsch yeast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Hey guys,

I'm very new to the whole brewing world, so new in fact I haven't even got the equipment to brew anything yet. Anyway this recipe has really caught my eye and I'm looking to make it sooner rather than later.

Rather than ask you a million questions about brewing, I've done some reading and read a lot of this thread to get some sort of idea of a very basic step by step guide on how to brew this beer. Could someone check over the steps for the extract version I've made myself to make sure I'm not missing anything massively important?

1. Heat 3 gallons of water to 160, steep vienna for 20 mins.
2. Take vienna out, bring to boil
3. add wheat LME/DME and pale LME/DME, stir in.
4. Follow hop recipe
5. Put into fermentation bucket and cool quickly
6. Take gravity reading?
7. Add yeast (from a starter?)
8. Top up fermentation bucket and seal with airlock etc.

Obviously sanitising everything is very important too, but apart from that is that a decent guide to brewing this?

Apologises for both the long-ish post and my lack of knowledge. All replies will be greatly appreciated!

Not knowing the specifics of the recipe, but just some basics - take the pot off the heat before you add the LME / DME, and mix up before adding back to heat (less messy this way), and cool in the brew pot / kettle before adding to the fermentation bucket...

Hello...since this is your first brew, I would really recommend purchasing a kit from a supplier because they break the minutes down for you....but I completely understand if you don't. Should you decide to make this beer, I would create a minute by minute list....pre-portion all of your ingredients....and use a timer. Most often the lack of prep when brewing results in a F'd up beer....so write it, portion it and time it....easy breezy!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back