Legally Starting a Distillery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPStinky

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I've been making beer for about 6 years and I suddenly became very fascinated with the idea of distilling. As it has been made very clear in other posts, distilling at home is illegal. How then do law abiding citizens start a distillery? Am I really expected to fork out $100k in taxes, licenses, real estate, and equipment just to see if this might be something I enjoy? Or if my recipe is even any good?

Or does the government just assume that I have done this at home for a while and turn a blind eye?

Seriously, how do you apply for a loan with a business plan? "Well, this is the equipment that I need, and this is the cost of the location. I've never done this before, because its illegal. Please loan me a load of money."

Hi Everyone!

I've been making beer for about 6 years and I suddenly became very fascinated with the idea of distilling. As it has been made very clear in other posts, distilling at home is illegal. How then do law abiding citizens start a distillery? Am I really expected to fork out $100k in taxes, licenses, real estate, and equipment just to see if this might be something I enjoy? Or if my recipe is even any good?

Or does the government just assume that I have done this at home for a while and turn a blind eye?

Seriously, how do you apply for a loan with a business plan? "Well, this is the equipment that I need, and this is the cost of the location. I've never done this before, because its illegal. Please loan me a load of money."

I would suggest searching a distilling site. The people on this site frown on distilling talk as it is illegal. I understand your questions and will shoot you a PM with a link to a good distilling site where people can help..
Cheers
Jay

Depends on your state. In PA you can get a letter from Harrisburg allowing you to distill as long as it's for one of the allowable purposes - fuel, medical uses, etc. I or live they'll send you an official letter, although I'm not sure if it has the whole raised seal deal.

I'm still not convinced you can consume it legally though.

Am I really expected to fork out $100k in taxes, licenses, real estate, and equipment just to see if this might be something I enjoy?

Of course not! Starting a real business legally making distilled spirits doesn't cost $100k. It costs ten times that!

Hi Everyone!

Wow, I hate people that do this, but in before lock?! hopefully.

Check with the ATF. As far as I know, $100K is a low estimate.

I have a friend that just got his licence to distill and sell. He posts on here as clearwaterbrewer.
I'm sure there are many resources on the internet for this. The legal requirements are probably specific to your location, so you'll have to talk to local authorities.

This site is the wrong place for this information. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back