Legalize Hobby Distilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsprinceiii

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some day soon (we can hope) it could be legal for us to take our hobby and craft to a new level.

Read the latest result from HDA's Meeting in Washington.
We need to increase membership, to show support.

If you don't mind taking the time to read what HDA is doing, and if you
agree with what we are trying to do, think about becoming a supporter.

Non Hobbyist Supporter membership is free.
Paid memberships are available

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/?p=565

:mug:

I'm all for legalizing HomeDistilling.

We started a site not to long ago covering it.

HomeDistilling.com

Thanks Austin.
I was poking around there a bit.. We need to get more traffic there too.. :)

Thanks to the users that joined and support the effort at http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org

If you have not visited the site yet, I encourage at least taking a peak, read about the effort..
Does not cost anything to join as a hobbyist, and joining does not mean you are distilling. :)
The more support we get the better chance we have at succeeding.

Have a look at: http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/?p=565
Or join here: http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/?page_id=10

Thanks All!!

Much like waiting on your mash tun? :mug:

I Make wine, and beer..
Would like to make Whiskey, and Brandy, legally. :rockin:

Yeah, it's something like that, but if you are really interested in the process, you probably already know.k

I don't enjoy hard liquor that much (yet), so that may factor into my low interest. Building the equipment is probably the most appealing part of the whole thing!

Yeah, it's something like that, but if you are really interested in the process, you probably already know.k

I don't enjoy hard liquor that much (yet), so that may factor into my low interest. Building the equipment is probably the most appealing part of the whole thing!

I agree..
Building is the best part of the hobby!
I like Beer, Wine, and "Good" Scotch, Whiskey, or Bourbon, and an occasional Brandy.
I don't drink to get drunk, rather to enjoy.

For me it is kind of like having a full featured kitchen, and wanting to add
an indoor Gas Grill. Takes cooking to the next level..

My libertarian spidey-sense says it's an idea that needs to be given serious consideration. I'm for it.

But you have a long, hard road ahead. Even if it passes at the federal level and the ATF carves our a "hobby" exception, the next roadblock will be at the state level. A few states may go along with it initially, but I see the potential for strong opposition by many groups. Law enforcement groups, MADD, the distilled spirits industry, religious organizations, health care advocacy groups, will all be mounting strong opposition. I live in a state that cannot even muster support for Sunday retail sales. I'd hate to think how my legislature would react to a home distilling bill.

Plus, there is a much different public perception toward spirits than there is to beer and wine. There is a very strong stigma about what your opponents will quickly label "booze," "hootch," "rotgut," etc. Public image is going to be a huge hurdle.

I hope this group has skilled lobbyists who know how to reach out to the right people in Congress, make compelling arguments and win over the skeptics. Good luck!

A friend told me during his tour of Germany that every farmhouse seemed to have its own "sauce". Maybe someone should see how the legalities work out in other countries and use that angle.

As far as spidey sense, I get it too.
It's like basically another special interest lobby. Not ideal but I could get behind it.

My libertarian spidey-sense says it's an idea that needs to be given serious consideration. I'm for it.

I hope this group has skilled lobbyists who know how to reach out to the right people in Congress, make compelling arguments and win over the skeptics. Good luck!

I think we are moving in the right direction..
There will always be skeptics, or people that believe this will cause unforeseen
issues with our society, turn Joe Person into an alcoholic, etc..

However the reality is people all have their own agenda, and many support
agenda's, not knowing anything more than "What they have heard",
and think they are making informed decisions. It is our right, and
responsibility to show them that they may be wrong.
Unfortunately, the right to Distill is a more a
Political problem than a People problem. Taxation being the first of many
obstacles, including being misinformed.

The more supporters we get, the stronger our stance!

The stigmas would be very hard to break.

Think of what society pictures when they even hear the word moonshine. Some backwoods yokel, making sugar water hooch and setting up a still in the back woods. Then look at shows like "Moonshiners" and how they portray those that distill.
Think of the attitudes that Joe Public has when drinking different types of libations. Beer is for sporting events, relaxing drinking at the end of the day, and keg parties. Wine is a snobbier drink, and also can be over drank. A 'female' relaxation drink at the end of the day. Liquor is thought of more like Brawndo, where "Brawndo has Electrolytes!", Liquor will get you drunk!
Think of towns like Alaska where there are problems with alcoholism and the the television shows about the police there where they have to arrest people for smuggling in liquor.

I would have no problem with it being legal, heck I would love to try making a nice whiskey myself. And think about what it could do for the costs of barrels for beer and wine brewing. The education and knowledge would really change perceptions, but I have a feeling it is a long way off as it wasnt until 2013 that the last states legalized homebrewing and federally it has been legal since 1978. The biggest barrier that I can see is that it will be seen that everyone wants to make Everclear rather than something more craft.

I can't say I have any desire to distill (who knows how I will feel if it's legalized since some label me as a doomsday prepper), but I support the freedom to do what you please if you're not harming anyone else. Therefore, I hope you get the support you need. I'll check out your site.

Law Enforcement doesn't care about the hooch you're making at home.... long as you're not attempting to sell it or making your neighbors blind

Yeah, I think there's a level at which "legality" doesn't really matter that much...the cops aren't going to batter down your door to seize your pot still as long as you're not trying to run some sort of under-the-table commercial operation,so hobby legalization would probably just be an unnecessary rubber stamp on something plenty of people already do anyway.

I used to date a girl whose dad was into hobby distilling. He was a pipefitter by trade, so I presume he had a pretty nice still setup. Never got into it myself, mostly since whisky is the only spirit I really care for, and I am not really in a position to age something in a barrel for several years.

"Free men don't need permission"
Did not the founders of our country make drink by which nowadays in that same country are considered "illegal"?

Just another situation where i feel sorry fir people not living in New Zealand....
Even with it geing legal here i havnt started it, always have predominantly a beer drinker. Maybe one day

Yeah, I think there's a level at which "legality" doesn't really matter that much...the cops aren't going to batter down your door to seize your pot still as long as you're not trying to run some sort of under-the-table commercial operation,so hobby legalization would probably just be an unnecessary rubber stamp on something plenty of people already do anyway.

I used to date a girl whose dad was into hobby distilling. He was a pipefitter by trade, so I presume he had a pretty nice still setup. Never got into it myself, mostly since whisky is the only spirit I really care for, and I am not really in a position to age something in a barrel for several years.

The law states it is Illegal.
Personally, I was fortunate to purchase a still a few years ago. Applied for
an Ethanol License, waited.. 2 years later I receive a letter from the ATF,
spelling out the language of the law. For me, owning was not worth losing my
home, so we got rid of it. We have also been very vocal with respects to
legalization. So, I would love to see the Rubber Stamp.. I would also not be
opposed to a reasonable license fee.

Would love to see more people sign up as a hobby supporter to help further
this cause, however I think many are in fear that signing up is putting them on
a list with the government, a list they do not want to be a part of. With that
sort of thinking we never would have legalized home beer/wine making.

Back