Leftover yeast in vial, can I propgate it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimsonwine

Reaction score
I just made a batch of beer and I bought a White Labs 029 Ale Yeast and pitched it...there was a little yeast left in the vial...

Can I use that to start another batch of yeast for future use? If so how?

Can I just fill a small sterilized jar with water, priming sugar, and add the small remaining qty of yeast in the vial and let it ferment? and then store?

Or am I way off here on the procedure?

I don't think I am "washing" the yeast....

You can do that. But don't use priming sugar! Use DME. Use 1/4 cup DME to 1 cup water, boil it up and cool it. Then add it to a sanitized container, along with the yeast. Shake it aerate and cover it with sanitized foil. After it ferments out, you can add fresh wort and do it again to build up the yeast. When it's done, put in fridge.

You can do that. But don't use priming sugar! Use DME. Use 1/4 cup DME to 1 cup water, boil it up and cool it. Then add it to a sanitized container, along with the yeast. Shake it aerate and cover it with sanitized foil. After it ferments out, you can add fresh wort and do it again to build up the yeast. When it's done, put in fridge.

how long can it be stored and still viable?

Latest posts

Back