left over yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabberwalkie

Reaction score
So I normally brew 1-3 gallon batches. When I use liquid yeast I feel using the entire smack pack or vial is over pitching and so far using about half the package has worked well. I just dont know how to keep ad store the remaining liquid to use at a later date. Could I store it in a sanitized jar in the fridge?

Yes. A sterilized jar (boiled) is a little safer, but even one dunked in Starsan is fine, really. You might want to fill a sterile/sanitary jar with starter wort (around 1.040 OG) and pitch the remaining yeast into that, let it ferment dry, and then put the jar in the fridge for next time, just to get a bigger/more vital culture. You can make a pack last for many batches this way, reserving some each time.

What I did originally was to collect some of the trip from the fermenter. After removing as much of the other trub and hop matter, I poured into a sanitized jar and covered it with something cheap like Budweiser. Then stick it in the fridge.
"Why Budweiser?" You may ask.

Because the alcohol that is in the el cheapo beer will keep it sanitized until it's ready to use.

Latest posts

Back