Left out some extract but got the right OG for my recipe, do I need to do anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taulpepper

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a newbie making my second batch. I realized at the end, after pitching the yeast and sealing the bucket, that I had forgotten to add a pound of DME. I already have the right amount of wort in there (5.5 gal), so I'm wondering if I need to add the DME or if I'm ok?

I think I'm ok - here's why. I measured the gravity with my hydrometer and it read 1.060. It was 75.4°F, so I think you add 0.0018 delta G giving me 1.0618 OG.

I had to make several adjustments to the recipe I used, but it stated the OG should be 1.060. 1.0618 is pretty close, so I think I'm good and if I added anymore DME it would be too high.

Here's the full details of what I did. I'm basing it off of the Raison D'Saison recipe from Brewing Classic Styles, but I had to make several adjustments.

The recipe includes

7.7 lbs Pilsner LME
1 lb cane sugar
.75 lb Wheat LME
.5 lb Munich LME
2oz CaraMunich steeping grains

I couldn't get those small quantities of LME at my local HBS, so I bought the following grains and did a partial mash with a grain bag on the stove:

1lb Wheat Malt
.75 lb Munich malt
2 oz CaraMunich

I asked the guy at the HBS how much grain to get and he recommended these amounts. I didn't do all the gravity calculations to figure out exactly how much I'd need of each to match the LME quantities. (I tried to do it before I went to the shop but couldn't get it to work out right).

I also couldn't get 7.7 lbs of LME so I bought 6lbs of LME and 2lbs Dry. I was going to do the 6 lbs of LME and then add 1.36 lbs of DME, because 7.7 - 6 = 1.7 and 1.7/1.25 = 1.36, and I've read on here you divide by 1.25 for the LME to DME conversion.

I measured out the .36 lbs (5.76 oz) of DME and added that 0.36 near the end of the boil. But I realized I forgot to dump a 1 lb bag of DME I bought.

Now it seems like my accident was actually lucky and that if I had added that additional 1 lb of DME my OG would be significantly higher than the target OG in the recipe.

If anyone can confirm that it seems like it worked out let me know.

Or if you think I need to get some more DME in there somehow, also let me know (though my bucket's not really big enough :)

thanks!

I think you're WAY over-thinking the process, (5.76 oz, 75.4°F, 0.0018 delta G etc etc). Such minor variations will have nearly imperceptible influence over your final product.

You're gonna wind up with beer. Unless you're aiming for a VERY specific outcome or trying to exactly duplicate something you've done before there's no sense worrying yourself about minor variations. That's part of the charm of this hobby IMO.

Worrying will ruin your beer... RDWHAHB, it'll be great. :mug:

Mals

Back