Left my fridge open!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKBugs

Reaction score
I accidentally left my fridge open after pitching a 5 gal Belgian Ale. It spent the best part of maybe 14 hours at 86 f.
Is my batch ruined? Does anyone have any experience as to suggest what may happen and if I can salvage it.
[emoji31]

What yeast did you use? While I wouldn't start fermenting that high, 86 F isn't insanely high if it's a saison. You may get a lot more yeast character than expected.

If it wasn't such a long damn drive i would come over and take it off ya to keep you from having to suffer through it!!!!! BUT, instead I would venture a guess that it will be just fine, and maybe even a little bonus flavor out of that yeast to boot. Besides . . You are already committed, might as well let her ride and see what ya get@! If it turns out extra special you can always claim you were experimenting and latched onto something big!!!!!!!!!! Ain't home brewing great

I've never used that yeast but agree with the others, you should be fine.

My guess is that it will be fine(possibly awesome), with Belgian beers, I don't fear the upper temperature range(some do). I usually have big starters, start it in the mid 60s and after a day or two, start raising the temperature until it gets in the mid 80s, sometimes I even let it go higher and my Belgian beers always turn out tasty. BTW- I have awesome temperature control and do it on purpose to coax the flavor out of the Belgian yeast. Sometimes Belgian yeast can be finicky and crap out too soon and refuse to restart, so if one keeps them going by raising the temperature a couple of degrees each day, then you have a better chance of it finishing and the reward is the flavor compounds that come from the temperature at each set point. BTW- I've been able to get Quads to finish at 15%+ and not have to be step feeding them, all in at the end of the boil after cooling and adjust the temperature accordingly.

If you get time, I'd suggest that you consider reading "Brew Like a Monk".

I pitched to packers of Lallemand’s Abbaye. Needless to say it’s taken off like a fricken rocket.
I’ve brought it back down now to ~62

Latest posts

Back