leaving star-san in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaier48

Reaction score
will leaving star san in a keg for a couple days hurt it? i have a beer i want to leave in the primary for a few more days... but dont want to dump the 5 gallons of star san... but also dont want it to damage my kegs..... your thoughts?

I rotate out which keg carries mine but there is always one loaded up with it for sanitizing/storage and since 5 gallons lasts me a long damn time I know it won't hurt anything. :)

Be sure to use distilled or RO water from a Glacier Dispenser at the grocery store.

Starsan breaks down with the minerals in the water and will turn cloudy and milky and the inside of your keg will become slimy.

RO water will work great. I use a big water bottle from the store for this, not a keg. I just sanitized a flask for a starter this morning with 2 year old solution. Still clear and still at pH level of 3.

StarSan5Gallons.jpg

So it will be fine for a few days, or a few weeks, or a few months? I am in the same boat, but I have two weeks to go and was thinking about leaving the star san in the keg, lines, tap until I am ready to keg in two weeks.

Is that ok to do? I was cleaning everything and rather than breaking it all down, I decided to leave it. It's been only a day so far, so I don't thinly I have destroyed anything yet? Let me know your thoughts.

If you plan to store it a long time use bottled/distilled water as Ed suggests. I stored a batch in a keg through my 1 year dry spell and it was still good when I got back to brewing. Typically can't do that with tap as it'll break down. Typically though a keg will last me 5-6 months easy since I dispense it from a picnic tap for sanitizing stuff so don't use much.

Latest posts

Back