learn from my mistake - Brew Hauler melted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronco1500

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just thought I would share a mistake that this FNG made recently. Hopefully this will save somebody else some money.

So, I recently bottled a batch and had to clean up the dirty carboys. I decided I would fill em up with the typical oxyclean cleaner and let em soak for several days. I didnt need them anytime soon so I just kinda left em in the backyard to soak.

Well last night my buddy comes over and we go out back to have a smoke. I looked over at the carboys and they were crystal clear. Another victory for oxyclean. I decided to dump the carboys and fill with fresh water. As I got closer to the carboys I noticed that my Brew Haulers looked misshapen. These were brand new haulers that I had just purchased so I was surprised to see that they were melted and some strands were completly snapped. Luckily I did not try to lift the full carboys with the comprimised straps or it could have turned nasty as I was barefoot and in shorts.

My friend and I came to the conclusion that as the sun traveled through the glass carboy and water, it became focused in certain areas.... kinda like a magnifiing glass. This melted the nylon straps. Im guessing this is karma for all those ants that I roasted with a magnifying glass when I was a kid.

Hopefully this will help some other FNG from wasting a perfectly good Brew Hauler. Here are a few pics.

hauler-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

Cheers

I didn't want to say anything because it definitely unfortunate that your gear is destroyed

freisste said:
I didn't want to say anything because it definitely unfortunate that your gear is destroyed

Sorry. Accidentally hit send on my phone. Meant to say something along the lines of "sorry about your luck, but that is really cool."

Wow, thats crazy. I will be sure to keep this in mind when I buy my Carboy haulers. Sorry to hear about the loss of cash.

I'd like to see it try to melt my milk crate.....

Sorry about your luck though. Or should i say, Congrats, lucky you noticed it before breaking a carboy while in bare feet!

Yep, dodged a bullet on dropping a full carboy. Rest assured Im examining my Hauler every time I go to lift it from now on, even if its been indoors.

I was thinking of naming the batch I brewed something like "toasted ant" or "crispy critter" ...

Fire starter? Face melter? Malty magnifier? Brew hauler hexer? The possibilities are endless. I like crispy critter

Might been squirrels you dont even wanna know the damage those bastards have delivered here. I go to my pissed off place when i see em tear my stuff up! Im like a freaking sniper! Those bastards almost burned my house down! Pita!

Might been squirrels you dont even wanna know the damage those bastards have delivered here. I go to my pissed off place when i see em tear my stuff up! Im like a freaking sniper! Those bastards almost burned my house down! Pita!

Squirrels almost burned your house down? How did the little arsonists do that?

Squirrels almost burned your house down? How did the little arsonists do that?

Chewed on wires. Fan in kitchen caught fire im still replacing electrical. They shot up the copper line from compressor to airhandler got in attic and nawed at everything from wood to wires. Just a fat annoying rat......

mtk6006 said:
Chewed on wires. Fan in kitchen caught fire im still replacing electrical. They shot up the copper line from compressor to airhandler got in attic and nawed at everything from wood to wires. Just a fat annoying rat......

Squirrels are nothing but tree-rats. Hate 'em with a passion.

Wow so I know this is a necro post, but I too just went to empty clean my brew haulers that also sat outside for a few days and also noticed all the straps were melted and destroyed just like this. The first time it happened I thought I may have left too close to the kettle, but having seen another two haulers destroyed (my running total is 3)this makes perfect sense. I was thinking maybe its the pbw, but the magnifying hypothesis is the most believable..

Latest posts

Back