Leaky Kegs? Ugh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mic Carp

Loud Mic
Reaction score
IMG_4018.JPG

Anyone had any luck plugging a leaky pin-lock keg?
I’ve tried new O-rings and keg sealer jelly (forget the name, but it’s similar in texture to petroleum jelly) also.
It seems like it’s much too easy to close the lever causing a loose seal.
I no longer have a bench clamp or I’d try bending it for a tighter fit.
I would be much obliged for other suggestions.

If you think that's what it is that's and easy fix put take the lid off remove the plastic feet on the arms and put a space in there and you will have extra pressure or you could try putting something on the keg top and then using that to make the lid grab tighter as it will be a spacer between the feet and the keg increasing the pressure on your seal either way your increasing the pressure you put on the seal

Does it seal when you put pressure on it? The lever isn't really what does the sealing, but if you want it to be tighter you can stick coins under the feet. Sometimes the lids or kegs can be slightly warped, you can try turning the lid 180 degrees and it might seal better.

See?
This is why this site rocks. Sometimes you can’t see the obvious answer right under your nose.
I’m going to try all the answers!
Thanks all!
Cheers!

This is going to sound like a dumb question: Do you have other kegs? Do their lids seal on this keg? Just trying a different lid or o-ring will show you the issue. NO lube or jelly or anything out there will make an o-ring seal better if there is a gap. Lube just helps the o-ring slide into place.

I have yet to use any lube (I have some just in case) other than star-san, water, or beer. I work with ultra-high vacuum system where the less lube the better and we manage to easily get a good seal, only using lube on parts that move post-assembly, and maybe a slight almost imperceptible glisten of grease on hard to assemble parts (we affectionately call this 'nose grease' - so little that its like wiping your finger on the side of your nose then rubbing the o-ring- as a way of saying how little you use)

If/when mine leak I usually use popsicle sticks under the feet or use a lid from a different keg.View attachment 622911

There is no reason this matters.....the pressure should seat the o-ring. The pounds per square inch 12PSI places on that lid would be far beyond what those levers create even with shims......the lid should always be seated with pressure.

I have a couple kegs that leak with no pressure or just serving pressure. If I seat them with 30psi then they will hold pressure at serving pressure. Spacers do not help those kegs.

If you hold the lid in place without locking it down you can sometimes wiggle the lid while applying gas to get it to seat better then if you lock it down first.

If you hold the lid in place without locking it down you can sometimes wiggle the lid while applying gas to get it to seat better then if you lock it down first.

Very solid advice, and if a touch of lube is used on the O ring during assembly it works quite well.

I fought a leaky keg for a long time. It was very slow at first. I was just going through more CO2 than I figured I should be, so I started shutting off my tank after every pour. When that didn't work, I started completely disconnecting the CO2 hose, and miraculously the keg was still pressurized when I went back the next day! It turned out is was a oetiker clamp that had come loose and not the keg at all.

Whatever works...and it does work for me. Ideally, yes, that is how it should be.

I am guessing that if you need the shims, you still have a leak - however small it may be. The pressure of the gas on the lid is likely higher than the pressure caused by the latch and shims.

Ok here’s one problem
The bracket was bent. I was able to straighten it up with pliers.
It also leaks a little through the release valve. It seems to stop leaking when its up to about 10 lbs
IMG_1319.JPG

I think I’ll be good now!
Thanks everyone!

I fought a leaky keg for a long time. It was very slow at first. I was just going through more CO2 than I figured I should be, so I started shutting off my tank after every pour. When that didn't work, I started completely disconnecting the CO2 hose, and miraculously the keg was still pressurized when I went back the next day! It turned out is was a oetiker clamp that had come loose and not the keg at all.
Yea, that was my first thought. I had just recently installed a triple secondary regulator setup. so I went through and replaced all the lines and fittings with new hose clamps. I assumed that was it, but low and behold, within a few days my brand new 5# tank was empty. due to a lucky spill I was able to see the culprit and hence this thread.

Thanks to all for your inputs. I seem to have more clarity on the problems of others rather than my own LOL

Back