Leaky HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith6292

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I decided to build my own HLT with weld less fittings. I installed two valves for the herms coil and I am having great difficulty with leaks. Anyone have any tips?

Show us the bulkhead fittings.
And then tell us where the leaks are - is the HEX leaking at the compression fittings? Or is the leak around the bulkhead? Or is the leak between the ball valve and the bulkhead?

Help us help you...

Cheers!

Thats a regular ball valve not a weldless fittng? if you have leaks its the installation of the weldless fittings that likely need addressing not the ballvalve itself. Weldless fitting work great once installed correctly.. been using mine without a single issue for 4 years and I have like 15 of them in my setup.

On a side note why do you have ballvalves on your herms coil? its just more unnecessary stuff to clean with no benefit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a suggestion...I had the same problem until I learned to solder in fittings. I'm moving away from weldless fittings.

Making a puller in pretty easy and soldering them is as easy as copper pipe. Google "soldering fitting into brew kettle" and there are several by BobbyFromNJ...I'm pretty sure it BobbyM on here. Once you get it...it really doesn't take any more time than installing a weldless and a lot less work to get sealed up, especially if your doing some more advanced plumbing like the HEX.

Basic idea..pull a coupler or half coupler through, clean it, flux it well and gentle heat...BAM! attach anything you want.

I bough a $10 stainless pot on ebay to practice on.

Once you do this, there will be no more leaky anything!!:ban:

Back