Leaky CO2 Valve No. 2 -- can it be fixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashola

Reaction score
I recently purchased a ball valve for my CO2 setup to replace a leaky valve. Lo and behold, this one has now developed a leak. Here's the leaky replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/Kegco-LH-BF13R07-1-Regulator-outlet/dp/B00DIX5CRW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Needless to say this is frustrating, but maybe I'm getting what I paid for. Before I toss this one and try yet another valve, are there any DIY fixes for something like this? When i put a bubble solution on it, the bubbles come out of the base of the blue handle. It also seems to leak from the upstream CO2 tank side because if I charge my keg and close this valve, the tank stays charged. But if I leave the CO2 tank valve open and close this valve, it will discharge the CO2 tank.

Finally, if there is no fix, can someone recommend a reliable CO2 ball valve?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess they got a crappy batch from China...

I have a lot of these with the red handles in use on my CO2 manifolds and tanks. Never have had any problem with them. The only thing is, as with most gas and shut off valves, they should be used fully open or fully closed, so only in the "90°" positions.

Ritebrew.com has a lot of things we need at some of the lowest prices around. Their shipping is also very fair. I bought a lot of stuff from them, including beer dispensing parts.

Thanks, I'll check it out. That $10 Chinese valve has probably cost me $30+ in CO2!

Thanks, I'll check it out. That $10 Chinese valve has probably cost me $30+ in CO2!

Damn! That makes it a lot worse.

I'm sure the red ones are chinese manufacture too, but they feel solid. Hope they don't start screwing around with those at some point.

Forgot to mention, aside from MFL, the red ones also come in 2 barb sizes. They all have a check valve built in using a spring loaded ball. I did notice when using 2 in series, one on the regulator and the others on the manifold, the pressure to the kegs became erratic especially with lower pressures. So I removed the one on the regulator. Haven't investigated thoroughly what caused the issue.

Most LHBS sell the red ones too. I've never seen the blue ones.

Just for kicks, I tested my red handled gas shut off valves.

Well and behold, I noticed some leaking too. Mostly when turning the handle from one 90 degree position to another, in between the 90 degree "stops." You can clearly hear some gas escape. All but one seem to seal on the 90 degree positions. That one leaked a bit in the 90 degrees open position when touched, pushed or slightly twisted.

I opened that one up. There are 2 rubber o-rings on the little shaft, and they showed a lot of gouges and flat spots. I guess they can be replaced. However, in the process of removing the shaft I damaged the "top" seat. The shaft needs to be pushed toward the inside. The seat sticks up a little, and I've not found a way to remove the seat or pushing it down before removing the shaft. I wonder how they are assembled.

Latest posts

Back