Leaky basement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHefty

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I moved into a new house this past November. I knew the basement had some small leaks but I wasn't that concerned. It only leaks during heavy rains so maybe 3-4 times since I've been there. I'm now at the point where I'd like to fix this and finish off the basement. It's a big project I have planned because I want to add a bathroom, bedroom, and bar.

So, can anyone recommend some fixes for the basement leaks? Looking for something permanent since I will be finishing off the walls.

Thanks!

Geoff

Couple of things. First off, My basement leaks. Bad. It's so bad that I don't really have many options to completely stop it.

I did find that one year after I had put up rain gutters all around, and directed it away from teh house, that the leaks slowed WAY down.

Also, some contractor put some pathc material partway up the wall and painted with UGL (or whatever) and that seems to have stopped the leaking wherever that was applied.

I have a Michigan Basement (Rock wall) and I'm lower than the surrounding water table due to the layers or clay and sand, so it's not just when it rains, but pretty much all the time.

I think that if I put gutters back up (on the to-do list) and keep a dehumidifier running I could probably have a pretty dry basement in the summer.

There are a lot of products that can be applied to the walls. Ames is on company that comes to mind. As mentioned above if your gutters drain adjacent to the walls route them further out as well, and to the low side if possible.

It's hard to say, there are so many possible causes of leaking. I'd start by looking at the grading outside and adding gutters (as mentioned), keep as much water away from the foundation as you can. Make sure all of that is figured out first.

Me personally, whatever solution you figure out I'd give it a year before beginning to finish the basement - give whatever you do some time top fail. Suck to do a ton of work, throw a lot of money into a project, only to find out that you've got water damage and/or mold.

If you have a serious problem it will probably have to be worked on from the outside. First as said make sure the grade is away from the house. If it Already is graded away from the house you will probably have to excavate all the way around waterproof and install drainage. Seriously costly! I agree that whatever you have to do wait for a seriously wet period before making any improvements. My basement is normally dry but twice in 11 years with really wet periods, I got about 1/4 inch across the floor. My floor is flat and no sump pump so I did a lot of mopping every couple of hours.

For permanent fixing add gutter extension, keep your basement dry, restore the crown. Please check whether you have footing drain, the clog in the footing drain also cause basement leakage and dusky smell. You can use sealant tape to the leakage for super-strong waterproof.

Is the water flowing in in some areas or are the walls wicking water through? I had a basement that had water flow through it and the French drain was clogged, so the water didn't flow to the sump pump properly. After fixing the drain and running a dehumidifier it was a mostly dry basement.

If the water is wicking through then you will have to deal with it from the outside, which was already stated. Water leaks in basements are not fun to deal with. Good luck.

The first thing to look at is the landscaping around the foundation of the house. If it doesn't promote drainage away from the house then that is probably the or certainly a source of basement wetness.

It is the first place I'd look. Also gutters and downspouts. Water must be moved away from the house.

Latest posts

Back