LCD Temp on a Erlenmeyer Flask = AWESOMENESS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryVance3

Reaction score
So I had a DUH moment when I was making a yeast starter. I had a fish tank LCD temp stick sitting out that I had bought for my inline aeration project. I was cooling my wort wondering if it was close when I looked at my carboy with its fermometer and I had a light bulb go on. Here is the my newest DIY creation.....

DSC01210.jpg

I boil in my flask I imagine that might screw it up but otherwise I have thought about doing this too.

i might be confused but is the temp of your starter important? as long as it's body temp i didn't think it really mattered.

i might be confused but is the temp of your starter important? as long as it's body temp i didn't think it really mattered.

it matters when you are pitching the yeast into it after its done boiling. but you ideally want your starter to be the same temp its going to ferment at.

-=Jason=-

I would think boiling temps might just jack them up. At the very least it might melt the adhesive. My stir plate kind of heats my starters a little so I have to keep an eye on their temperature. IIRC according to Jamil optimal temperature for yeast starters is 70-75 degrees.

it matters when you are pitching the yeast into it after its done boiling. but you ideally want your starter to be the same temp its going to ferment at.

-=Jason=-

i pitch it (initially) at room temp to get it going then on brew day i put it in the ferm chamber to get it to temp (usually a couple days later). just my technique.

I've never thought of doing that - good idea!
I'm always pulling out the laser thermo and trying to get a good read.

Won't work. LCD will eventually die. I made a inline thermometer (aka blichmann thrumeter) with copper pipe and an aquarium LCD thermometer and it worked well for about 3 months. I have a build thread on here but I can't do it from my phone)

Pitch around 70 for a starter, you are trying to make healthy yeast, not great beer.

IMO, a thermometer is the best way to go.

S-23
Question I'm lagering a honey batch using saflager s-23

After 2 days nothing... Fridge at it's highest tempature dropped to 50 degrees package says 51 is lowest temp

So i gave up and placed it outside the fridge for room tempature fermentation

Should I have waited another few days for the yeast to kick in?

S-23
Question I'm lagering a honey batch using saflager s-23

After 2 days nothing... Fridge at it's highest tempature dropped to 50 degrees package says 51 is lowest temp

So i gave up and placed it outside the fridge for room tempature fermentation

Should I have waited another few days for the yeast to kick in?

You may get better results to your question by starting a new thread and not asking an off topic question on someone else's thread.

Go to the Beginners section and choose Forum Tools : Post New Thread

Welcome to HBT. :mug:

Back