LBS made an error Crystal 70-80 instead of 40L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
My dad picks up my order from the LBS usually because it's so far out of the way and when he visits he brings the order for me.

They made an error they gave me Crystal 70-80 H bairds and I ordered crystal 40L.

I'm only using 340 gram to steep in a California common beer made from Extract 3KG of Pale ale malt extract LME.

So what are my options? Driving 1 hour to the store and 1 back isn't really something I am looking for.

I've never made that beer. Can I use those grain to steep and have a darker beer or it will taste awfull?

Thanks

Ernie

My dad picks up my order from the LBS usually because it's so far out of the way and when he visits he brings the order for me.

They made an error they gave me Crystal 70-80 H bairds and I ordered crystal 40L.

I'm only using 340 gram to steep in a California common beer made from Extract 3KG of Pale ale malt extract LME.

So what are my options? Driving 1 hour to the store and 1 back isn't really something I am looking for.

I've never made that beer. Can I use those grain to steep and have a darker beer or it will taste awfull?

Thanks

Ernie

You could use it all, and like you said have a little bit of a darker beer, and a tinge more body.

Or you could just use less -

Question: How do you know it is 80L instead of 40L?

On my receipt it says crystal 70-80 and on the bag they wrote crystal 70-80.

I thought about it too.. I wouldn't know for sure. hehe

thanks

haha.

If you were mashing I'd be a little more worried, but since you're steeping, maybe just cut back on your steep time by ~5 minutes?

I once had a BS do the same thing but I caught it before I paid.

His response, "Use half as much"

Cause half of 80 is 40........:drunk:

Definitaly a great shop. I didn't ask for anything they offered to send it for free. I haven't been brewing for long but I've always had a great service there and it's where I am going back for my next batches ! www.biereetvin.com in montreal. It's a small counter and a huge wearhouse in the back. They work with many micro breweries in Quebec.

ernie00

I checked out the Mout website, and I was wondering if they sell extract. It seemed to me that they only sell grain.
-phil

They have everything, extract in bulk you just tell them what you need and they package it for you (hops, grain, extract.. name it). Very simple, you order by e-mail or phone and tell them when you want to pick it up and it's ready when you come. I've only been pleased doing business with them.

They have everything, extract in bulk you just tell them what you need and they package it for you (hops, grain, extract.. name it). Very simple, you order by e-mail or phone and tell them when you want to pick it up and it's ready when you come. I've only been pleased doing business with them.

Thanks for the info, it's always good to learn of another source of supplies.

-phil

Back