Laziest cider ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMacy

Reaction score
Before I start I should state that I'm not in it for the flavor but rather a cheap alcoholic beverage. So cheap and easy is the name of the game.

So for my very first batch, in the sake of cheap and lazy. I took a gallon jug of tree top poured out a glass. Added a teaspoon of cider yeast. Put the cap back on just tight enough to vent pressure. Two weeks later me and the wife got nice and drunk. The flavor far surpassed any store bought cider (store bought cider is far too sweet for me). The slight pressure on the bottle kept the perfect carbonation.

Am I doing anything wrong? I like the end product so should I go take the extra steps of a carboy, airlock, hydrometer, ect... Seems like a lot of extra effort when I don't really care if the product gets any better. Me and my wife get drunk for less than $5 and enjoy what we're drinking.

If you enjoy the end results, and don't feel like spending the extra money or time, then I say stick with it. On the other hand, if you do eventually want to step it up or try further experiments, there's a whole world of things you can do with cider. Plus, ways to make it cleaner, and with less of a hangover the next day.

The great thing about cider is that you can make these changes one step at a time. A 1 gallon glass jug makes a great carboy and costs $5 new or can often be found for free somewhere. Airlocks are $1.50. Auto-siphon (to get it out of the carboy) is the most expensive piece and that's usually about $10 for the small ones.

So, for $20 you can upgrade to using a carboy. What's the point? Well, when you're done with your cider you'll notice a layer of crap on the bottom. That stuff generally doesn't taste very good so most people want just the cider and not the sediment. So use your siphon to pull the cider off of it. A glass carboy with a flat bottom (rather than all the ridges on the plastic bottle it came in) makes this easier. Glass is also the easiest to clean so you don't have to spend the $20 next time. Make sure to invest in some star-san, too, if you want to upgrade to a carboy to avoid wrecking your batch.

If you're happy with it, keep using what you've got. If you want to try something new, take it one step at a time. It should be easy and low cost; if its not you probably don't need to do it.

If you enjoy the end results, and don't feel like spending the extra money or time, then I say stick with it. On the other hand, if you do eventually want to step it up or try further experiments, there's a whole world of things you can do with cider. Plus, ways to make it cleaner, and with less of a hangover the next day.

I get terrible hangovers from any type of alcohol so tips for reducing the hangover would be appreciated.

The great thing about cider is that you can make these changes one step at a time. A 1 gallon glass jug makes a great carboy and costs $5 new or can often be found for free somewhere. Airlocks are $1.50. Auto-siphon (to get it out of the carboy) is the most expensive piece and that's usually about $10 for the small ones.

So, for $20 you can upgrade to using a carboy. What's the point? Well, when you're done with your cider you'll notice a layer of crap on the bottom. That stuff generally doesn't taste very good so most people want just the cider and not the sediment. So use your siphon to pull the cider off of it. A glass carboy with a flat bottom (rather than all the ridges on the plastic bottle it came in) makes this easier. Glass is also the easiest to clean so you don't have to spend the $20 next time. Make sure to invest in some star-san, too, if you want to upgrade to a carboy to avoid wrecking your batch.

If you're happy with it, keep using what you've got. If you want to try something new, take it one step at a time. It should be easy and low cost; if its not you probably don't need to do it.

Took your advise. With how much I'm gonna make I decided to spend the small initial investment. Still keeping it simple.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396728646.292987.jpg

Some people take the overly analytical approach to brewing, WHICH IS FINE. Personally, i like to have control over a FEW variables-But the main thing is consistancy; Take note of how you came to such good results, and repeat those steps every time.

I get terrible hangovers from any type of alcohol so tips for reducing the hangover would be appreciated.

Using yeast at the right temperatures is a big thing that will help, and letting them work long enough. Cider is a bit different than beer, which is what I'm used to. With cider, some people will stop fermentation early when they reach that sweet spot where the flavor is right where they want it, and others let it ferment dry, then back sweeten it.

Some other general things are keeping hydrated, keeping your electrolyte balance, and replenishing vitamins. When we'd get patients who were severely intoxicated coming into our ER, we'd usually give them a banana bag, which is an IV with a ton of electrolytes. Gatorade or Pedialyte is a better solution for home. Replaces electrolytes, and keeps you hydrated. I also usually take a multivitamin when I know I'm going to be drinking a lot, and it usually seems to help out a bit, too. Another thing I tell people is to drink a glass of water every couple rounds. It works wonders.

This sounds great. I'm thinking of just fermenting in a plastic carboy. From what I have seen most people stick with glass.

I'm excited to try this! I was daunted by the idea of making my own hard cider but this post made it seem not as difficult. Thx for posting this!

I'm excited to try this! I was daunted by the idea of making my own hard cider but this post made it seem not as difficult. Thx for posting this!

Don't be afraid to try. There are really only a few things to worry about.

Yeast selection and Quality Juice or Cider being the biggest. Make sure everything is sanitized and don't expose the cider to the air (as much as you can) especially in the secondary.

If you want to carbonate it, that's just one addition steps (with various methods).

Just give it a go, it's fairly easy all things considered.

Some other general things are keeping hydrated, keeping your electrolyte balance, and replenishing vitamins. When we'd get patients who were severely intoxicated coming into our ER, we'd usually give them a banana bag, which is an IV with a ton of electrolytes. Gatorade or Pedialyte is a better solution for home. Replaces electrolytes, and keeps you hydrated. I also usually take a multivitamin when I know I'm going to be drinking a lot, and it usually seems to help out a bit, too. Another thing I tell people is to drink a glass of water every couple rounds. It works wonders.

Electrolytes, its what plants crave!!!
(Movie Idiocracy)

Back