Lawnmower beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjward101

Reaction score
Im wanting to try a lawnmower beer today, and I was hoping for some thoughts on this:

1 ounce mt. Hood hops -60 minute boil
1 lb. Rice solids 60 minute boil.
2 lbs dme 30 minute boil
1 ounce mt. Hood for the last 15 of the boil
3.3 lbs extra light lme -last 15 minutes

I'm hoping to make a reasonable clear, light lawnmower beer using this recipe....does anyone see anything wrong with it? Thanks.

Looks good.

Personally I would leave out a pound of DME to yield somewhere around a 4%ABV beer.

I've never used rice solids despite the good things I've heard about it. I would just use table sugar but there's a lot of things you can use to lighten/dry out the beer a little. Can't say one is better than the other.

I'd boil the hops in a about 3 gallons of water with about a pound of extract. The other fermentables would go in at flame out.

I would use a lager yeast and ferment at 50. Or just use whatever yeast and method has worked for you.

I actually did just finish brewing this about an hour ago, and decided to go with just one pound of dme...before I read your reply. The lme all went in 15 minutes before flameout, and wow....it definitely came out a bit more caramel in color than what I was hoping for. I guess time will tell, as ive noticed my beer actually seems to lighten up a bit after fermentation is done. I was also a bit surprised that I ended up with an o.g. Of 1.060.

First time this newb heard the term Lawnmower beer.

Did a search and found out how to make one, but what is it?

And since we use the term beer to include ales I'm even more confused.

Is it a "light" beer of either ale or lager?

A lawnmower beer is basically a low abv, lighter beer...you know, one you can drink all day long while cutting the grass on a hot August day without getting sauced.

I consider Miller High Life a good example of a "Lawnmower Beer". Drink a 6 and it hardly affects ye!

I don't know anything about hop utilization but I was under the impression that you needed to have malt in the boil for the hops to get utilized. If it were me I would have boiled some of the DME and rice extract at the 60min mark, then added the rest in at the 1 min mark.

Anyone with an opinion on needing DME to get the hops to do their thing? I have no experience on this one as I have my first lawnmower beer ingredients awaiting brew day.

Latest posts

Back