Lavender Scottish Ale (extract with grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this sounds like a girly beer—and hell, it might be—but I wanted to get a nice clean beer to start the spring with.

Here's what I used:

3# Light DME
3# Wheat DME
1# Caramel 20°L
1# Raw, Unfiltered Clover Honey
2 oz East Kent Golding Whole Leaf Hops
.4 oz Lavender
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

I made a starter 20 hours before pitching.

Steep caramel malt in 170° water for 30 minutes. Add DME and bring to boil, and add EKG hops. After 20 minutes, add .15 oz lavender. After 10 minutes, add 1 oz EKG hops. After 20 minutes, add .25 oz lavender. Add 1# honey at flame off and cool down to 68° to pitch yeast.

I'm currently fermenting at 63°F and it's roaring. For more information, check out my blog —> http://thebeerdetective.wordpress.com/2014/02/24/lavender-light-scottish-ale/

I'll update as we go along, but this one should be great for the springtime weather we have on the way in Oregon!

Let me know what you think. Did I use too much lavender? The smell is fantastic from the blowoff tube.

I'm trying to imagine what this would be like. For some reason all I get are the little soaps my wife keeps in the bathroom. I look forward to hearing how it turns out. I have a Scottish mugwort/heather ale fermenting right now.

The lavender might be a little over powering. I use one teaspoon with five minutes left in the boil and that seems to get me where I want it.

I'm trying to imagine what this would be like. For some reason all I get are the little soaps my wife keeps in the bathroom. I look forward to hearing how it turns out. I have a Scottish mugwort/heather ale fermenting right now.

The original recipe called for heather, but we couldn't find any in the spice shops around Bend. I am worried that it's going to taste like some soap, but only time will tell. Relax, right? You'll have to tell me what the heather turns out like.

The lavender might be a little over powering. I use one teaspoon with five minutes left in the boil and that seems to get me where I want it.

That's what I was worried about....dang it. But, I was hoping the earthy qualities of the Scottish yeast would use the lavender to its advantage.

I've used lavender twice. It can definitely be overpowering of a strong floral taste. A little bit goes a long way.
If it turns out too strong you can always blend it with another batch, something with a medium to high OG.

You'll have to tell me what the heather turns out like.

I am very anxious for this one to finish. I've used heather before, but it included fuggles with it. This is my first use of mugwort, so this one is going to test my patience. I plan to bottle it in about four days.

This one is finished up and very nice! I wish I would have left it in the primary a bit longer because it's a little sweet. But, the unfiltered honey really comes through and the lavender adds a nice, subtle nose to it. I'll be making this one again for sure.

Back