Lavender in a Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
Thinking of making a Hefeweizen with White Labs Hefeweizen IV yeast. The lavender would be added in the secondary. I think if I put it in the boil it might end up bitter.

What are your thoughts on this? This is my wife's idea and I think it could work. Not sure if the yeast is the right choice as it does produce a spicier/clovey weizen, and maybe the floral notes of the lavender might be better accentuated with a more subtle weizen yeast.

Basically any herb in any beer is fair game as long as you think the flavors would work. And you are right in your assumption that adding most herbs in the boil will result in more bitterness than flavor as aromatics are driven off.

Ive had a lavender beer that was successful(it was a saison) the lavender was added in the secondary or in the keg.

My experience with herbs is that it's very easy to overdo, and they don't always sale linearly. Start with very small amounts and go from there.

Id go with the 3638 shnieder strain (Its apparently also wlp351.). Its more floral/complex than the others. Its not the most subtle, the one you suggested has the least esters, but I get mostly just clove from it.

Latest posts

Back