[laughs maniacally]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tute

Reaction score
Well . . . I now know where I can go to find new projects . . . here!

I wanted to try my hand at brewing for awhile, but kids and work didn't really permit that. Now the kids are older and work is calmer, so I started poking around.

I have my first batch of Mr. Beer fermenting in the basement. I haven't even bottled it yet, but I am already itching for more. Then Google brought me here. This is going to be great!

PS: I'm 40-ish, have both a physics degree (science is good!) and a law degree (hey, a guy's gotta earn a living!), and am an Ozark hillbilly by raising now living in Kansas (I see that I'm not the only Kansan on here). Fun times. I have some reading to do.

Doesn't take much for an interest to become an obsession when it comes to homebrewing. There is always some new recipe, ingredient, gadget, or what have you that must be experimented with. I am excited to try my hand at growing hops this spring!

Welcome to the hobby!

Welcome to HBT, Tute. What part of the Ozarks were you raised in? Mr. Beer is a good start. You'll likely be wanting to upgrade soon, if you dont already. Slainte!

Thanks for the welcome!

I love the idea of growing hops . . . for this year, at least, I am going to resist adding those to my gardening plans.

I grew up in the Rolla area, for those familiar with those parts.

I am currently sinking a lot of time reading about one gallon brewing here. That's a long thread! Doing one gallon batches seems like a great way to try a lot of different things and figure out what I like to brew early on.

Welcome to the forums! I started with 1 gallon all-grain. Wasn't too painful (rather easy, but takes some time over extract and Mr. Beer I suspect).

That being said.. I get about 8 bottles out of a gallon which doesn't seem like much for the effort, so I'd suggest consider looking to brew 2-2.5 gallon batches as you grow in the hobby. :)

Welcome to the forums! I started with 1 gallon all-grain. Wasn't too painful (rather easy, but takes some time over extract and Mr. Beer I suspect).

That being said.. I get about 8 bottles out of a gallon which doesn't seem like much for the effort, so I'd suggest consider looking to brew 2-2.5 gallon batches as you grow in the hobby. :)

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm eager to try all-grain, which is part of the appeal of a 1 gallon system to me, at least to begin with. It seems like learning to use grains is easier at that size. I figure I can step up size if I have the need. As a single beer drinker household, volume will not be an issue until/unless there are moochers--I mean, friends--wanting beer.

Latest posts

Back