laugh at my horrible brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_a_roe

Reaction score
took part in easily the worst brew day today. figure it should at least spur some laughs as to not be completely useless...

had a double batch day planned for today, 2 brett ipas, brett L and B. this is my first time using a newly acquired 5 gallon mash tun i converted to use for small batches, so these 2 batches were only 2.5 gal (thank god).

first mash went fine, came up a bit short and just chalked it up to me using a higher ratio than usual at around 1.85 x lb of grain and new tun. i fired up the boil and stared up my next mash with identical grist and different hops lined up for the boil.

upon chilling the first batch i noticed the volume was a little high but didn't think much of it as i was starting to boil the second and busy weighing out hops, sugar, etc. ended up getting a full extra gallon + figuring i over sparged and just filled up an extra gallon jug i had lying around and decided to pitch some extra brett i grew up from a bottle of allagash century (SWEET 3 brett IPAs today is awesome!).

fast forward to chilling the second batch>down to almost temp only to take the cover off and see volume is again higher than normal. took a closer look and actually saw bubbles coming up and quickly took out the wort chiller and saw it is cracked halfway up the coil....could it be? my wort chiller was just leaking water the entire cool downs!?!? ::face palm::

moral of the story. 2 batch days are crazy and i'm an idiot.

Back