latitude 48 deconstructed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mm, love the hallertau aroma! This most reminds me of my own brewing activities. It has the smell of a fresh packet of hoppies ready to boil up.

I taste a leafy/grassy flavor, but more like gnawing on a hop vine. The initital "bite" of the beer isn't quite as smooth as the kent and it carefully/subtlety covers the taste of the malt. I find a very "bright" finish. like swimming flavor in my mouth.

while the kent has the taste of the Swedish chef "forgetting" some ingredients (simple, uncomplicated beer) the hallertau very much speak for themselves. I can sense where a lot of the complete lat48 "business" comes from.

both beers struck me very much as "Sam" beers - it is quite their own style.

And I'm a lightweight so I may need to contemplate more tomorrow. Thanks for letting me ruminate :) oops, and sorry for letting me bump an old thread, I just bought my box end of July after searching most of the summer, and decided tonight would be my exploration night :)

aahhhh simcoe, so you are the mysterious keeper of that super bitter grapefruit flavor. It's like straight grapefruit juice. fruity and juicy. and face squirreling sour.

I got a 12 pack of this and honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between the 5 single hop version (but I could notice a difference between the regular version and the single hop varieties). Perhaps I have blown out my palette with my Simcoe IPA or I got some mistreated beer...

I got a 12 pack of this and honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between the 5 single hop version (but I could notice a difference between the regular version and the single hop varieties). Perhaps I have blown out my palette with my Simcoe IPA or I got some mistreated beer...

Isn't it a little old at this point?

I bought it in May and my roommate and I split 6 bottles at the end of May, then we did it again a last week. They all tasted pretty much the same to me on both go arounds and my roommate said he could barely differentiate them.

IffyG said:
I bought it in May and my roommate and I split 6 bottles at the end of May, then we did it again a last week. They all tasted pretty much the same to me on both go arounds and my roommate said he could barely differentiate them.

Lol wow I think that's the first time I've heard that about this creation.

That's why it makes me wonder if I got something that was mistreated. The beer stores around here don't take great care of their inventory and it's overpriced, so the turnover is fairly low (which is why I started homebrewing). I figured since I got to it soon after the release it would have been OK, but I bet they found another new and exciting way to ruin beer at the store.

IffyG said:
That's why it makes me wonder if I got something that was mistreated. The beer stores around here don't take great care of their inventory and it's overpriced, so the turnover is fairly low (which is why I started homebrewing). I figured since I got to it soon after the release it would have been OK, but I bet they found another new and exciting way to ruin beer at the store.

Lol I hear that just like how a unamed store by me was trying to sell a bottle of bitches brew that sat ontop of a cooler where it was hot as can be....wasteful jackasses

OoooO! i dig this... i wonder how long it'll take them to get it out to oregon

This is a great idea - props to SA! Need to see if I can find in my area as I'm willing to buy just to support the concept frankly! (that, and it's a ready made tasting session)

It might be a bit hard to find now it's been out for a month or two at least. But if you can find it your in for an intresting session. I hope sa hopes on doing some more of these.

I had this a while back. I'd say the ahtanum and simcoe were my faves (but I already knew I loved simcoe hops :p ). Hallertau and EKG were more or less dominated by the malt. Zeus was pretty good as well, #3 for me.

Tried to find it in western Mass today, no luck! I may have to drive down to Springfield to Table and Vine. Dang, if I can find this it sounds like a fun night in the making!

Still had 6 cases at my local shop and picked one up on the way home. Chilling for tomorrow's brew session.

aahhhh simcoe, so you are the mysterious keeper of that super bitter grapefruit flavor. It's like straight grapefruit juice. fruity and juicy. and face squirreling sour.

I don't have a lot of "experience" with hops so to speak, but I absolutely LOVE this flavor. I wish my LHBS sold simcoe. I can't get enough of it. I also wish I could find the 12 packs of this, but alas, I will go 6-pack for 6-pack for now...you won't hear me complain.

Boston lager is underrated IMO. It's very good when fresh. Having it at the brewery is the best.

I totally disagree with it being underrated. Its entirely possible that I just hear about how "awesome" SA is waaay too much in my neck of the woods (the guys at work just love their beer) but I just havent ever had a Boston Lager that I've liked. Out of draft or bottle, warm night or cold, I just havent like it.

About all I like from Sam Adams is their Irish Red and I'm going to try this Latitude 48 or whatever.

I've just never beeen impressed with these guys. Does anyone else think their beers seem watery?

I agree, but i'm not a big lager fan anyways...get your hands on a sixer of latitude and give it a try...not too bad...better out there, but its cheap. I just wish they had it on tap instead of the boston lager at the bars

Sampling the original Latitude now while I brew. Not too shabby IMO. It's an easy drinker, which is a nice place for this beer to fit in. I'm considering it a Lawnmower IPA and that's not a bad thing. Looking forward to some hop sampling and will post again with some tasting notes down the road.

BBKing said:
I totally disagree with it being underrated. Its entirely possible that I just hear about how "awesome" SA is waaay too much in my neck of the woods (the guys at work just love their beer) but I just havent ever had a Boston Lager that I've liked. Out of draft or bottle, warm night or cold, I just havent like it.

About all I like from Sam Adams is their Irish Red and I'm going to try this Latitude 48 or whatever.

I've just never beeen impressed with these guys. Does anyone else think their beers seem watery?

Obviously, everyone has different palates/tastes, and most commercial beers have a "house flavor" so it isn't surprising that you don't enjoy SA beers while others do. I think that is totally fair and reasonable. To each their own, right?

I do somewhat agree though that SA is underrated, at least in craft beer circles. Maybe not underrated so much as unfairly judged. For example, a post earlier in this thread said that SA is on their way to joining the BMC club. SA is in a unique position - "too big" and not "crafty" enough for the beer geeks, so many folks just dismiss them out of hand. I'm certainly guilty of this - I live in Mass. and SA is the "home team", so it is EVERYWHERE. For this reason alone, now that I consider it, is why I can't remember the last time I picked up any of their beers. But SA is constantly trying new and exciting things, like this deconstructed idea. What member of BMC is doing that or putting out barrel aged sour beers or $150 bottles of Utopia?

(sorry for straying off topic)

I don't have a lot of "experience" with hops so to speak, but I absolutely LOVE this flavor. I wish my LHBS sold simcoe. I can't get enough of it. I also wish I could find the 12 packs of this, but alas, I will go 6-pack for 6-pack for now...you won't hear me complain.

my impression is that this is a copyritten strain. Look around HBT for a recipe for lat48 and there are some suggestions for things that could fill in for the simcoe.

I just heard about this 12 pack Saturday, went to the liquor store and got the last one! I actually really like this IPA. Unlike some hopheads out there I like my beers balanced and this one is doing it for me.

I discovered this sampler last summer and loved the total geekiness of it. I had lost faith in Sam Adams brewery as a real craft brewer til this sampler came out. They really redeemed themselves with this one. I agree the latitude 48 is not the best ipa out there (I'd recommend harpoon or west coasts green flash first) but the ability to taste each hop variety separately in its own ipa brew is awesome. We know they have their own character, but you really appreciate the different flavor of eachwith this sampler and can taste how they work together in the latitude 48 itself. I think Sam Adams himself would be proud to have his name on this one.

They did this last summer - it was a nice education on those hops. I've ordered poundage of all of those hops based on that. It definitely scored a couple of points with me. I think L-48 is pretty good - a touch sweet, but not bad. I love breweries that give up info about their beer.

growl1234.jpg

Back