Late unsanitized sugar addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skokott

Reaction score
So my recipe called for turbinado sugar at flameout.

I forgot to put this in so without thinking (and I don't know why) I was like "ok let me just pour it into the fermenting bucket without boiling 4 hours after finishing the rest of the beer".

Dumb move. My beer is spoiled, right?

It was 1 cup dry into a 5 Gallon double IPA that had already started fermenting. The sugar was recently bought and was stored in individual single serve packets before opening. I did sanitize the cup I used to pour in the sugar, but not the sugar itself.

When I poured it in I saw a lot of foaming action.

I've been told by 2 brew shops I should be fine and 1 it is 99.99% ruined because of the bacteria and I will get off flavors.

I did pitch about 1.5X the required yeast so not sure if the proper yeast will win out should there be any bacteria on the sugar. Not sure.

Any advice?

I would say RDWHAHB. Its likely fine, however you are not going to get the same profile as if you had added it at flameout...

The more interesting part of your story is that you ripped open, I'm guessing, dozens of single serve sugar-in the raw packets for this. Hahaha.. You can buy it in larger increments. Or did you get a 5 finger discount at Starbucks by chance?

Sorry can't resist but laugh a bit when I think of you opening all of those...

Like Bowtiebrewery said, it's probably fine. I've actually done the same intentionally before and didn't have a problem.

All the Best,
D. White

Thanks for your responses.

And BowtieBrewery, yeah it was pretty funny. I just bought it at the grocery store and didn't realize it was all single packets. Super annoying but the only kind they sell. Just moved back to Canada from the US and the land of consumer choice this is not, though I'm sure I could find it if I bothered to look hard enough.

Back