Late Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmobrewer

Reaction score
Hello, just wondering if anyone has any experience comparing the taste of hops added at 15 mins or less to the boil versus a steep/whirlpool?

I know there will be a bitterness amount, and possibly perception, difference. Just curious if my desired bitterness is already achieved by my 60/90 min addition, is there a difference in flavor if I add them at 15-0 mins or steep/whirlpool them for a given time?

Thanks! :mug:

I get more hop aroma by putting them in the whirlpool. I even wait until it cools to about 150f. It think is just enough heat to release the oils, avoid any additional bittering, and prevents any grassy aromas.

I have done many tests with hop stands and I think the main difference between late additions and hop standing is aroma but I do think there is a flavor difference as well. It is probably the interaction from the increased aroma since smell and taste senses are intertwined. I think a hop stand is fresher tasting and more refined than a late addition.

Back