Late gelatin addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialized

Reaction score
I recently brewed up a double IPA . It was in primary for about 10 days. Moved to a secondary and dry hopped. I'm on the 11th day with that. Now my initial plans were to bottle today, but I just read up on the benefits of adding gelatin. I'm wondering if it would it be a good idea to throw some in at this point? I'm figuring if I do, then I will have to let the hops sit for a few more days at least. Will that be a problem? I have no way of removing the hops as they're in a muslin bag inside a glass carboy. I could rack back into my fermenting bucket and then add gelatin, would that be a better idea? Or should I just scrap the whole idea of adding gelatin?

Do you have a way to drop the temp of your beer to around 45F or lower? If not then the gelatin probably do much for you. Otherwise you can add it, but unless you're beer is having a problem clearing I'd just leave it alone. It'll clear up by itself in the bottle/keg.

I was under the impression from reading these forums that gelatin had a significant effect even at higher temperatures. Other than it possibly not being worth while does any one see any potential adverse side effects or things I should avoid?

I've used gelatin without cold crashing on my last 3 batches and I've been very impressed with the results. I can't be 100% sure that the gelatin is responsible for the improved clarity of my beers because I've made the move to all grain at the same time. However, if it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it - I'm going to keep using gelatin at room temperatures as long as my beers keep coming out crystal clear.

Back