Late Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickelmcgee

Reaction score
I brewed a twelve gallon batch of “summer cream ale” a few weeks ago. Used WLP080 –Cream Ale Blend as the yeast, which I understand is a lager/ale blend. Spent 2 weeks in primary even though it stopped bubbling after 4-5 days (my carboys were tied up). Racked to secondary, bubbled for a day or two then stopped and began to clear up. After 10 days of no activity 1 of the carboys begins to really bubble (a few bubbles a minute) with considerable klausen formation. Both primary and secondary temperature has been consistent at 72 F. Neither carboy has been moved or disrupted. The other carboy looks like it is just starting to ferment again which will be a total of 16 days of no activity. Anyone have an idea what could be going on. When should I plan to bottle? The only thing I can imagine is the lager yeast.

Hydrometer readings? Without those you are missing the key info to make a decision. Beer could just be off gassing the CO2.

Back