Late extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cncquinn

Reaction score
I was look through some recipies that someone gave me, and all of them have you add a pound of dme after you steep, then you start a 60 min. Boil. When you get to the last 15min. You shut the heat off then add the rest of your extract, usually lme. Then finish the boil.

What is the point of doing it this ways, I've never seen recipies like this. Thanks

Never mind. Got all my answers in the beginners section. Thought since this is the extract Brewers section, I would get some answers about extract brews. Guess I was wrong

Actually, there is no need to stop the boil at 15 minutes to add the extract. Add the extract at flame out, it has several benefits:

- Boil time is not extended waiting for wort to come back to boil.
- No confusion as to whether to add extra time to boil to compensate.
- No risk of scorching the extract.
- Adding the extract after flame out, will help lower the temperature immediately after the boil. It will still stay above pasteurization temperature.
- If you add flame-out hops after the extract, the lower temp will help retain hop oils that would otherwise vaporize off.

Back