late dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie10

Reaction score
I recently made two identical IPAs at the same time, as per the following for each:
  • 5 gal
  • 1.7 kg Coopers IPA Brew A hopped LME
  • 0.8 kg light unhopped LME
  • 0.3 kg sugar (I feel some people cringing but I find a bit helps cut excessive caramel flavor from Brew A IPA extract)
No hops yet added for flavor or aroma, as I like to just dry hop IPAs. Both batches stopped at the calculated FG.

I planned on dry hopping each directly into the primary after 2 weeks, for 5-6 days, but had to quickly leave home to attend to some family matters. So, when I get back the beer will have been in the primaries for 12 weeks. My brew area is in a moderately dark basement at a steady 68 F this time of year. I still hope to dry hop when I get home.

Q1. Assuming beer looks/smells OK, should I proceed with dry hopping as normal or adjust something for the length of time in the primary?

Q2. Also, I have 2 oz of Willamette whole and 2 oz of Cascade whole to use. I like doing two batches simultaneously as it is efficient and it allows me to dry hop each differently to get two different beers, so while we are talking I’m taking suggestions on how to proceed (ex., all Willamette in one and all Cascade in the other, some of one and most of the other in one, etc. etc.)???

Thanks.

I recently made two identical IPAs at the same time, as per the following for each:
  • 5 gal
  • 1.7 kg Coopers IPA Brew A hopped LME
  • 0.8 kg light unhopped LME
  • 0.3 kg sugar (I feel some people cringing but I find a bit helps cut excessive caramel flavor from Brew A IPA extract)
No hops yet added for flavor or aroma, as I like to just dry hop IPAs. Both batches stopped at the calculated FG.

I planned on dry hopping each directly into the primary after 2 weeks, for 5-6 days, but had to quickly leave home to attend to some family matters. So, when I get back the beer will have been in the primaries for 12 weeks. My brew area is in a moderately dark basement at a steady 68 F this time of year. I still hope to dry hop when I get home.

Q1. Assuming beer looks/smells OK, should I proceed with dry hopping as normal or adjust something for the length of time in the primary?

Q2. Also, I have 2 oz of Willamette whole and 2 oz of Cascade whole to use. I like doing two batches simultaneously as it is efficient and it allows me to dry hop each differently to get two different beers, so while we are talking I’m taking suggestions on how to proceed (ex., all Willamette in one and all Cascade in the other, some of one and most of the other in one, etc. etc.)???

Thanks.

Q1: yes.

Q2: cascade will overpower willamette, I would split it completely. One cascade, one Willamette.

Back