Late Addition Hops & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Nid_Hog

Reaction score
I'm going to brew an IPA with one of my buddies this week. It's his first time brewing and he wants to start off with extract. He's a big fan of Bell's Two-Hearted, so we're going to use a DME conversion of Northern Brewer's extract recipe: light DME, Caramel 40 and Centennial.

I've gone with a late addition of hops with the last couple of AG IPA's I've brewed and I've been very happy with the results. I'd like to do the same thing with this so I'll be making additions of Centennial at 20, 10 and 0 (plus dry hopping). If I go with a late addition of DME, what is that going to mean for my boil? Steep specialty grains, bring the wort to a boil and immediately do my 20 min addition? Add the DME and the 0 addition hops together?

With a small amount of steeping grains,like a pound or two,I'd add half the DME to do the boil. Like if you're using a 3lb bag of DME,use 1.5-2lbs in a partial boil. Do hop additions,then add remaining extracts at flame out.

With a small amount of steeping grains,like a pound or two,I'd add half the DME to do the boil. Like if you're using a 3lb bag of DME,use 1.5-2lbs in a partial boil. Do hop additions,then add remaining extracts at flame out.

Thanks for the advice. We'll give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes. At 1.75 gallons, I feel like I'm brewing an extra large starter!

Well, we got our 1.75 gallons brewed and into the bucket. I actually waited until flame out to add all of the extract. It all went like clockwork. I think my buddy is a believer now.

Back