Last weekend's cider making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChipWaState

Reaction score
We had a very successful Sunday making cider with friends and family. All said and done, I ended up with 60 gallons to make into hard cider. Our total pressing for the day was 139 gallons.

Attachments

• Apples1.jpg
    Apples1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Apples2.jpg
    Apples2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Apples3.jpg
    Apples3.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Apples4.jpg
    Apples4.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 124
We had a very successful Sunday making cider with friends and family. All said and done, I ended up with 60 gallons to make into hard cider. Our total pressing for the day was 139 gallons.
Looks like an absolute blast! [emoji111]

Wow!
Is that a DIY apple scratter? I am looking at making something similar. Any clues on what works best...clearance, what does the scratting (screws, bent metal strips, etc, etc), what speed does it run at? Have fun drinking it all.

Wow, I thought my 25 gallon day was an accomplishment! This is super impressive. Looks like you’ve got a setup and system that is dialed in.

Hey Maylar. No, I'm in Oregon. I started growing cider apple and pear trees a few years ago and am just now starting to get a yield big enough for full batches.

I didn't know those varieties grew in the States. Both are native to England. The Dabinett was bred as a cider apple and it's one of the few that make a good single varietal hard cider. And British cider makers lean heavily on their Kingston Black crop. Should be an awesome combination.

Getting ready to press some Kingston Black and Dabinet apples! Very excidered.View attachment 593720
I didn't know those varieties grew in the States. Both are native to England. The Dabinett was bred as a cider apple and it's one of the few that make a good single varietal hard cider. And British cider makers lean heavily on their Kingston Black crop. Should be an awesome combination.
Yes, they are well known English cider apples. You can order the trees from several U.S. nurseries and have them shipped to your house. Orange Pippin is one such nursery you can order from and they have many good cider apples and cider pears you can choose from. I also bought a Barland cider pear and Normanischen Cider Birne tree but will be uprooting the Normanischen pear tree. The tree produces great pears but it is such a poor cropper for me and it ripens early enough that they go bad before the Barlands are ready to press. I think I will order a Hendre Huffcap cider pear tree as they should ripen a bit later and are precocious choppers.

WOW! That is an incredible amount of cider. I'm thoroughly impressed. You truly had pressing matters to attend to that weekend.
:bravo:

Latest posts

Back