Last week I opened my very own LHBS and I wanted to share some pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the look of the place. Very inviting and very warm. The log cabin has a certain appeal that seems to fit into "doing it yourself" perfect. If I ever find myself out that way I will stop by and say hello and buy some stuff.

Best wishes, I hope business takes off.

Just an idea, you might want to start a club for all of your customers. It wouldn't be hard. A simple monthly email of meets and throw in some recipes too.

3. Ensure you keep up your inventory. Nothing worse than going to a shop that is out of one or more of the ingredients you came to buy. Especially when it happens often. This is one of the reasons my favorite homebrew shop went out of business and I had to go back to my local store :(

4. Keep the place hospital clean. You have to be a cleaning nazi! We have a store in our area that is just plain dirty. Needless to say it really keeps people out of their store.

So much these.

I have two shops. One is 10 minutes from my house the other is 35. The closer one is always cheaper on most things.

That being said, I have to bring 3-4 recipes to the closer one because he is almost always out of something. Drives me insane.

Also, the store is filthy. Grains and liquid extract everywhere. Even has cats walking around and living there. Gross.

The other place is immaculate and has everything I need. Always. I'll happily pay 10-15% more and drive further for quality.

Are the costumers weighing there grains and grinding them? Or do you do it for them? My LHBS has clip boards with a list of all there ingredients and a couch and a few chairs with byo magazines and a few books. A coffee machine for those guys who run in at the break of dawn to get brewing on a weekend.

Your pretty far from norfolk. But next time I'm out there im going to stop by.

Looks cool, but if you want to grow you need to replace that nifty grain dispenser with something much more substantial. I rarely buy less than 10# of anything, and that would drive me nuts.

So... the gravity bins. I got a smoking deal on that. What we're going to do is see which grains are selling best and then increase our inventory of those. The base malts are all stored in 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids.

Eventually I would like the gravity bins to be for special malts that we will rotate in and out of stock. Plus it looks really pretty.

Are the costumers weighing there grains and grinding them? Or do you do it for them? My LHBS has clip boards with a list of all there ingredients and a couch and a few chairs with byo magazines and a few books. A coffee machine for those guys who run in at the break of dawn to get brewing on a weekend.

Your pretty far from norfolk. But next time I'm out there im going to stop by.

OffHuhs.jpg

We are giving the customers the option to weigh and mill the grains themselves if they want to. We have a little sheet on a clipboard that they can use to record what they're getting. I am going to run the grain room for as long as I can on the honor system.

We have an area upstairs in a loft that we are going to use for a multifunction room. We can have meetings/talks/presentations up there. I am also going to get some furniture and bookshelves for up there. I have BYO and Zymurgy magazines going back over a decade. I also have a lot of non-brewing related DIY books and magazines that I'm going to bring in.

We are a little far away from Norfolk, but if you're ever over here in the mountains I'd love for you to come check it out

Very nice. I have been tossing this idea around for a while. Closest LHBS to me is an hour and a half drive. I believe the market is here to support a store in my area.

I have looked into franchising...did you got that route or just start from scratch?

Congrats, the place looks great!

I'll throw out my $.02 culled from a few years' experience as an assistant manager at Walgreens. The shelves you have should have the ability to be set at an angle, which gives you more options and merchandising flexibility. This popped in my head while looking at your pics and noticed a shelf with what looks like rolled up BIAB bags in baskets. The baskets are a nice touch.I would think about setting that shelf at an angle, which gives the customer (looking down at it) a better view and plenty of physical space to grab one or more instead of reaching in, then down. There are SS wire-guards made for the purpose of preventing items on angled shelves from sliding off.

Another shelf-centric merchandising tip: Don't feel like the top shelf has to be at the very top that is possible. If the spacing is maxed out on all of the lower shelves, then you must use the top-most position. Failing that, lowering the shelf will make it accessible to more people and won't look odd.

General merchandising tips:

- Keep floor free of clutter (floor displays should be kept to a minimum and not impede foot traffic)
- Products should be easy to locate, easy to get to, and easy to purchase. If a customer has to ask you to get something they can't reach or see, that significantly decreases the likelihood of a purchase.
- Be diligent with "price tags". My biggest pet peeve with any store is displayed product without a price. Nine times out of ten I will not ask "how much?" and simply move on.

Congrats and best of luck!

Congrats, the place looks great!

I'll throw out my $.02 culled from a few years' experience as an assistant manager at Walgreens. The shelves you have should have the ability to be set at an angle, which gives you more options and merchandising flexibility. This popped in my head while looking at your pics and noticed a shelf with what looks like rolled up BIAB bags in baskets. The baskets are a nice touch.I would think about setting that shelf at an angle, which gives the customer (looking down at it) a better view and plenty of physical space to grab one or more instead of reaching in, then down. There are SS wire-guards made for the purpose of preventing items on angled shelves from sliding off.

Another shelf-centric merchandising tip: Don't feel like the top shelf has to be at the very top that is possible. If the spacing is maxed out on all of the lower shelves, then you must use the top-most position. Failing that, lowering the shelf will make it accessible to more people and won't look odd.

General merchandising tips:

- Keep floor free of clutter (floor displays should be kept to a minimum and not impede foot traffic)
- Products should be easy to locate, easy to get to, and easy to purchase. If a customer has to ask you to get something they can't reach or see, that significantly decreases the likelihood of a purchase.
- Be diligent with "price tags". My biggest pet peeve with any store is displayed product without a price. Nine times out of ten I will not ask "how much?" and simply move on.

Congrats and best of luck!

Great advice, thanks! I have to admit that the baskets were my wife's touch.

For everything that doesn't have a price tag either directly on it or on the shelf below it, then we have price lists printed up for everything on the shelf. I'm the same way, I hate to have to keep asking "How much is this?"

good luck! wish I lived closer to Roanoke. not really, I mean I do wish I could send some business your way, but I really love it here in LoCo.

have been saying the Commonwealth doesn't need any more breweries, it needs more homebrew supply stores.

glad you listened

So much these.

I have two shops. One is 10 minutes from my house the other is 35. The closer one is always cheaper on most things.

That being said, I have to bring 3-4 recipes to the closer one because he is almost always out of something. Drives me insane.

Also, the store is filthy. Grains and liquid extract everywhere. Even has cats walking around and living there. Gross.

The other place is immaculate and has everything I need. Always. I'll happily pay 10-15% more and drive further for quality.

lol

Jay's is under new ownership now. as of this week. they're closed for the next few days (yes, cleaning), then re-opening on Tuesday (I think)

lol

Jay's is under new ownership now. as of this week. they're closed for the next few days (yes, cleaning), then re-opening on Tuesday (I think)

This is excellent news. Do you know the new owners?

I'm both happy and disgusted that it is taking that long to clean.

I'll have to check them out.

This is excellent news. Do you know the new owners?

I'm both happy and disgusted that it is taking that long to clean.

I'll have to check them out.

do not know the new owners and haven't been to Jay's in over a year

haven't even brewed in a year and the last time I did, for my Grodziskie, I had to go to MyLHBS for the smoked wheat malt. traffic in 7 Corners, ugh. silver lining -> DFH Alehouse is right across the street

plus we now have 2 LHBS in Loudoun

here's their announcement

As an owner/employee you will be most new people's gateway to homebrew. Your advice will help them be successful and keep them buying your products. I would say customer service is key. Be patient and know ALL of your products so you can best assist your customers.
My LHBS will bring you to the counter and look up something on the web if they aren't sure. That's helpful, and shows they care that you get the right answer. They are a little more expensive than the other local shop but I enjoy shopping there and they earned my business with customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Very nice looking store! I'll probably stop by there sometime this week. There is a store about 1 mile from where I live, but it has very little amount of ingredients.

Nice setup,most of the LHBS are in concrete factory's near me .a keg in the corner for people to sample your wares can go a long way.also offer session's on brewing. Well Done :mug:

I love the weigh your own grain station. I wish my LHBS would do that for specialty malts. Looks good, and congrats! Kyle

Very nice looking store! I'll probably stop by there sometime this week. There is a store about 1 mile from where I live, but it has very little amount of ingredients.

I had a guy from BBurg come in last week saying the same thing. When you come in make sure to introduce yourself, I'd love to meet you.

Looks cool, but if you want to grow you need to replace that nifty grain dispenser with something much more substantial. I rarely buy less than 10# of anything, and that would drive me nuts.

For counterpoint, I have probably close to a dozen Mason jars of various specialty grains because I only needed 4 or 8oz, but my LHBS only sells 1# (or bigger) bags. I'd love to be able to just buy 4oz of Special B or crystal 120.

For counterpoint, I have probably close to a dozen Mason jars of various specialty grains because I only needed 4 or 8oz, but my LHBS only sells 1# (or bigger) bags. I'd love to be able to just buy 4oz of Special B or crystal 120.

My LHBS sells grain all the way down to 2 oz..

Get a Facebook page for your business if you don't all ready have one. Many people are social media dependent now. When you have sells or bring in a new product it is a good avenue. Congrats on your new business.

Touche! But, assuming he's doing this for profit, which customer should he try to satisfy, the guy who wants 2 ounces of a grain or the guy who wants 20 pounds?

Even if he had bigger containers, that doesn't mean he can't sell you grain by the ounces. But believe me, getting 10 or 20 lbs out of that dispenser is going to be tiring.

Good work. Love the grain dispensers. Looks like you have a lot of good suggestions so far. Would love to see some high quality biab bags at the lhbs beyond the crappy ones I've always seen.

If you let them use the grain mill themselves, safety first. Also make sure the gap is calibrated regularly for consistency. Beyond that would be awesome if you offered a fine crush as well for the biabers, provides higher efficiency and no risk of a stuck sparge.

I'd suggest not offering selling any large equipment that won't move quickly, and could be found much cheaper online. (Mills, kegs, mash tuns etc) instead offer service parts (keg posts, grommets, faucets, tubing) at decent prices. Grommets are insanely cheap to buy in bulk.

Touche! But, assuming he's doing this for profit, which customer should he try to satisfy, the guy who wants 2 ounces of a grain or the guy who wants 20 pounds?

Even if he had bigger containers, that doesn't mean he can't sell you grain by the ounces. But believe me, getting 10 or 20 lbs out of that dispenser is going to be tiring.

My goal is to satisfy ALL of my customers.

I'd suggest not offering selling any large equipment that won't move quickly, and could be found much cheaper online. (Mills, kegs, mash tuns etc) instead offer service parts (keg posts, grommets, faucets, tubing) at decent prices. Grommets are insanely cheap to buy in bulk.

I have the bits that folks need to build their own equipment, but I am also trying to keep a few prefabbed units around too. I sold a complete mash tun yesterday because the guy didn't feel like putting one together. I didn't make much on it, but he didn't have to go online to get it and wound up buying a bunch of other stuff from me too.

Sounds good then, you may have more space to be able to do that regularly then. My main lhbs (also liquor and cigar cellar) nearby does not, but thinks they do and ends up craming the place with lots of large things and I've never seen any of it sell. They're really good for grains, parts, extract stuff, chemicals and minerals. Yeast is decent. Hops are way too expensive though, can get 4 oz for 25cents more online than I can for an oz at the lhbs.

Don't mean to give a shameless plug for my profession, but invest in a good local CPA. Holding an inventory can be tricky when it comes time to do taxes. Also being servicers of one of the two known certainties in life we tend to accumulate a pretty wide network of local people to do business with.

Store really does look good though. To echo some other posts, the log cabin really is a nice touch.

Don't mean to give a shameless plug for my profession, but invest in a good local CPA.

So, I'm very interested in this and I have gotten the name of someone from another small business owner, but I was wondering, how much does a CPA usually cost for a small business?

How much a CPA cost is hard to answer. If you have bookkeeping software, quickbooks is the most popular but definantly not the cheapest, and you use it correctly you will save your accountant a lot of time, and time is money. I don't know how you set up your business but most likely it's just a sch C as part of your personnel return so if you keep good books it should only be a few hundred dollars.

Back